Require UAC to launch certain application

theyeti87

Honorable
Hello there!

One of my coworkers is trying to figure out a way to allow her daughter(s) to play Fortnite on their PC while her son is grounded from it.

I searched the web lightly but couldn't find much information on what I am trying to accomplish.

I'd like to make it so that UAC pops up when fortnite.exe (or whatever the launcher is) is opened.

I thought one way around this could be to have each of coworker's children have their own Windows login, each password protected with unique pass.

Anyone have thoughts on how an admin can restrict user A from a certain application and not user B or C?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Solution
I'm not sure why, but I know my mom was using one. I had already moved out when she put it on there so it only bothered me when I came home on the weekend to help care for my father. You can tell it what to allow/disallow. The one she used was for the internet but I'm sure there are ones that can work for programs as well. Probably the easiest way to do this honestly.

4745454b

Titan
The easiest way is to be a parent. PC is in open area where parents can see it. If you get caught doing anything you aren't supposed to be doing, punishment happens. (3 more days grounded, etc.) This obviously doesn't work if they all have their own laptops and little Johnny is in his room. For that you would need a "net nanny" type program. Something that dis allows programs on a program by program basis. There might be a way to do this by using a group policy with windows pro. That's not something I'm familiar with.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Just so you are aware, there was a report a few days ago linking the game to an upsurge in child related psychological problems being seen by medical staff.

So keep her hours limited as well.

If it is any consolation, I am having similar issues with my 5 y/o and Roblox; she is getting her hours of access cut to 1 hour per day, after I caught her twice playing the game an hour after she was supposed to be in bed.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Uac won't do anything. All that does is stop software from automatically starting, you need to click on the allow permission button.

If you want to allow the daughter and not the son access, you'll need to set user accounts and give the daughter the password. Also set to require password after sleep etc. Other than that, it'll require babysitting the kid when he uses the pc.

theyeti87

Honorable
Thanks everyone for your input. I agree with the necessity of parenting in this situation. This coworker knows me as a tech person, so she asked me if there was a way to work this out, because they all share the same PC. I suggested individual user accounts for each of her kids.

I'll look into the net nanny type applications, that may be something of interest for said coworker. Kids are on summer break now and parents still at work 8-4.

Thanks everyone!

4745454b

Titan
I'm not sure why, but I know my mom was using one. I had already moved out when she put it on there so it only bothered me when I came home on the weekend to help care for my father. You can tell it what to allow/disallow. The one she used was for the internet but I'm sure there are ones that can work for programs as well. Probably the easiest way to do this honestly.

Solution