Question Requirements for Algorithm trading 24/7

Oct 27, 2021
Hi,

I am currently using a Lenovo IdeaCentre y700-34ish from 2015. It is mostly working fine, however, I find myself in a situation where I am trading a lot, most of it is automated, meaning that the PC should be able to run trades 24/7 while I'm using it for research, CS-GO, or whatever.

I am mostly worried about the PSU, as it is noisy (and of a cheap brand, I think no-name OEM unit - thanks Lenovo) and only 450 watts. Currently, I have an i5-6400 CPU, not sure if that will do it as well.

I guess my question is if you can recommend a minor upgrade of components or if I need to invest in a whole new Desktop.

Fyi trading is done through MT4 and Online services.

popatim

Titan
Not much upgrading to do there. You only gain hyperthreading and a couple hundred Mhz CPU speed by upgrading to an i7.
If the performance is ok or just shy of it then that might be a viable upgrade for you.

Otherwise the PSU is a standard ATX and fairly straightforward to replace. Whats your budget for just the PSU? We won't recommend and poor quality units bu there are some very good affordable ones depending on your needs. If you have a graphics card, please let us know which one.

Reactions: Exploding PSU
Oct 27, 2021
Not much upgrading to do there. You only gain hyperthreading and a couple hundred Mhz CPU speed by upgrading to an i7.
If the performance is ok or just shy of it then that might be a viable upgrade for you.

Otherwise the PSU is a standard ATX and fairly straightforward to replace. Whats your budget for just the PSU? We won't recommend and poor quality units bu there are some very good affordable ones depending on your needs. If you have a graphics card, please let us know which one.

The budget is 100-200 USD for PSU. How about SSD and RAM upgrade? I only have a 932 HDD right now and 8 GB RAM

This is my graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX960, 2GB GDDR5, PCIe 3.0 x16 adapter, DirectX 12, DP x1, HDMI x1, DVI x2