Question Reserving IP adres within home network

Dec 20, 2019
Hi,

I always assign a static IP address to my desktop since I have a NAS in my network. By adding a static IP on my desktop I can access the NAS folders trough the windows explorer instead of logging in to the NAS website.

There is somehting annoying happening from time to time (every few weeks). When I boot up my desktop in the morning (connected via LAN cable) I have no network connection.

I came to the conclusion that the reason for this is that other network devices 'steal' the desktop's IP address when it is turned off during the night. I figured this out by using an IP scanner and noticed that the IP address which I manually assigned to the desktop is now being used by another wifi device.

Is there any way I can lock a certain IP adres from other devices?

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Assign that static IP on your desktop outside the DHCP range given from the router.

Router DHCP range - 192.168.1.5 - 192.168.1.100
Static IP of your desktop - 192.168.1.110

It will keep that.

The other way to resolve IP duplication issues is to make dhcp reservations for all devices--this way every device has the same IP every time and you don't have to worry about a device 'stealing' another's IP. And another benefit is that management of all the IPs can be done at the router vs the devices themselves.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS