Resident Evil 5: Demo Performance Analyzed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I would rather see a game where the devs focused on only one version of DX (the most common one yet) and make that the best possible and it appears that they have. Until adoption of Win7 begins I see no significant (not saying none) reason to bother with DX10. Yeah the water effects in Bioshock looked better blah blah blah...but I enjoyed the game equally on a DX9 system and it made no difference to me. I suspect the same will be true for a little while yet until we all start having Win7 systems.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
DX10 should improve performance if there isn't anything DX10 specific being added, simply because DX10 has faster API calls. The fact that DX10 mode has a slight performance hindering effect on the nVidia cards suggests unoptimised programming in the rendering engine. The huge hit the Radeon cards take suggests unoptimized drivers.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]You guys are located in Bakersfield? I want a job![/citation]

Not all of us, but the main performance lab is. =)

G

So that's why!
Today after running the resident evil 5 benchmark, the game ran very well on max seetings on dx9, but after switching to dx10, I didn't get anymore that 17 fps! I was wondering why since i didn't notice any difference in graphics quality between dx9 an dx10.

dangerous_23

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
this demo doesn't seem to support sli very well yet
these are my results on a amd 940 with 2x 8800gt 512 sli:
no sli: 63.6 fps 0xAA, 55.1fps 4xAA
sli: 66.7fps 0xAA, 66.4fps 4xAA

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]dangerous_23[/nom]this demo doesn't seem to support sli very well yetthese are my results on a amd 940 with 2x 8800gt 512 sli:no sli: 63.6 fps 0xAA, 55.1fps 4xAAsli: 66.7fps 0xAA, 66.4fps 4xAA[/citation]

That's probably a CPU bottleneck there, not an SLI limitation.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
For anyone with 3D Vision who is curious how it will run when 3D is enabled, I have a Q6600 with a GTX 280 and 4 gigs of DDR2, and it get ~45 FPS average, but in firefights it usually bottoms out around 25-30 which is still very playable in this game.

3D looks abso-freakin-lutely fantasic in this game. Everything was custom-tuned to work well in 3D; all the camera angles, the gunplay, the laser sight, even the cutscenes have custom editing to work great in 3D. I could ask for some actual popout effects (something they advertised as being there but sadly isn't), but aside from the lack of those, this is the best game in 3D so far, bar none.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Oh right, I forgot to add that the settings were at maximum, with no AA, at 1680x1050.

Can't wait to see Nvidia's next major GPU so I can hopefully beef up my 3D rig without having to go SLI. Stereoscopic 3D is simply breathtaking but it also takes the breath out of your GPU thanks to having to render a scene twice. Even the almighty GTX 295 is utterly brought to its knees under the weight of any recent game when 3D is enabled.

G

Catalyst 9.9 - Radeon 4850 stock , Windows 7 Ultimate OEM 32 bit
Game: Resident Evil 5
dx 9 - fixed bench -> 46 fps
- variable bench -> 56.5 fps
dx 10 - fixed bench -> 48 fps
- variable bench -> 59.5 fps
Double checked the results, settings 1680x1050 High,AA4x,MBLUR OFF

CONCLUSION - there seems to be a problem with catalyst 9.8, either that or u need latest nvidia physx drivers, or update dx to latest version!

mage182

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I can't even get the game to start. It keeps giving me a DX9 error and crashing before I can even get the game to start(After the main menu) or run the benchmark. Other posts on the net show that this is a problem for many users. Pretty disappointing.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Imo i am never buying a failcom game..

if they want my $ they gotta treat us right. give us a launch with the consoles or they can shove their game where the sun dont shine.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]gkay09[/nom]Does this imply that game developers in general dint even utilize the full potential of DirectX 9 and jumped on DirextX 10 bandwagon and now to DirextX 11?[/citation]

Many developers did rush into dx10 at first but are now falling back to direct x 9 since games don't look much better with dx 10, in some games like bio shock, the dx 10 shows things like smoother smoke as compared to dx 9, but when users did the dx 10 hack on windows xp (basically dx 9 rendering but the games will think you have dx 10 (not recommended unless you have a second windows install as they will damage the dx 9 install in xp and will be insanely hard to fix, the smoke in bio shock also becomes smooth

even in crysis with the hacked dx 10 mod for windows xp, it looks almost exactly the same as dx 10 in vista.

I don't thing the problem is with companies not fully using dx 9, while it still has a lot more power left to making games look better, I think the problem is there not using the full potential of dx 10 and any time they try to really use dx 10 for dx 10 stuff, there seems to be a large performance hit.

just about all PC games that work with or have a dx 10 hack for windows xp, they always look just as good or even the same as the true dx 10 and vista.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Resident Evil 5 for PC is now available across North America and will be released in Europe on September 18th, Capcom announced. Chris Redfield, protagonist of the original Resident Evil and Resident Evil: Code Veronica, returns. Chris is joined by new character Sheva Alomar, an African special agent tasked with investigating an epidemic in Africa.

looks good cant wait to test it on a ati 5870

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]OK, I am a nvidia fanboy... Love nvidia, and I would normally laugh at all the ati folks for not getting 3d vision. But, seriously I feel bad, so Just in case any one with an ati card want's to play games in 3d, this is for you. I've had a pair and they worked awsome..And, stuff does stick "out" of the screen. Wish I still had them. Used to play bf2 in 3d and flying was the best. Anyways, here you go. http://www.edimensional.com/[/citation]

At best you get headache with those stupid glasses.

tony_wilson

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Stop the piracy! It is so nice to finally have a popular console game ported to the PC! And gave us a little bump since we spend an ass load of money on our machines not just $400 bucks on some garbage. Thanks Capcom for the game and Toms for the good article.

gullyfoyle

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Don stated that the 4890 was underclocked to mimic a 4870 but he didn't mention what those clock settings were (that I could find). Could you remedy that?

G

the results and conclusion don't match up with my benchmarks. I have vista ultimate 32bit, zotac 8800gt, Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (overclocked to 2.4ghz, 2gigs of ddr400, and have all the settings on high, vertical sync ON, motion blur ON, using c16xQ, & res @ 1360x768 on a 42" LG plasma (looks fantastic and plays well!). When i run the variable bench in dx10 my average frame rate is 32.9 consistently. When i run the variable bench in dx9 on vista the bench results are cut in half! 14fps! also when loading the game into dx9 it takes like 2mins. Where as dx10 version loads in secs.. wonder if that has anything to do with dx9 emulation on vista ;) & the only reason im not getting better frame rates in dx10 would be my dated cpu and ram.

rycroft

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
the results and conclusion don't match up with my benchmarks. I have vista ultimate 32bit, zotac 8800gt, Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (overclocked to 2.4ghz, 2gigs of ddr400, and have all the settings on high, vertical sync ON, motion blur ON, using c16xQ, & res @ 1360x768 on a 42" LG plasma (looks fantastic and plays well!). When i run the variable bench in dx10 my average frame rate is 32.9 consistently. When i run the variable bench in dx9 on vista the bench results are cut in half! 14fps! also when loading the game into dx9 it takes like 2mins. Where as dx10 version loads in secs.. wonder if that has anything to do with dx9 emulation on vista ;) & the only reason im not getting better frame rates in dx10 would be my dated cpu and ram.

tokbromoh87

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
This is fake!..See at the comparison page..geforce had used medium detail not high!..You can see the difference with the page that shows the comparison between low, medium and high!

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]gullyfoyle[/nom]Don stated that the 4890 was underclocked to mimic a 4870 but he didn't mention what those clock settings were (that I could find). Could you remedy that?[/citation]

Sure. Stock Radeon 4870 speeds are 750 MHz GPU, 900 MHz Memory (GDDR5)

Status
Not open for further replies.