Question Resource Monitor shows Hardware Reserved 8GB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have 16Gb of Ram (2x8) on my computer.

I checked in Resource Monitor the information in the screenshot and I see Hardware Reserved 8Gb of Ram.

Is this normal?

All the best.

M48uYyj.png

Hello everyone,

I have 16Gb of Ram (2x8) on my computer.

I checked in Resource Monitor the information in the screenshot and I see Hardware Reserved 8Gb of Ram.

Is this normal?

All the best.

M48uYyj.png
Usually hardware reserved is for things like the iGPU. On my laptop I set the shared RAM for the iGPU at 2GB in BIOS and that shows in resource monitor as 2GB hardware reserved. That said I've never seen an iGPU allowing for 8GB of reserved RAM. You might want to boot into the BIOS and check and see what the iGPU RAM settings are and adjust them. Especially if you have a dGPU there is little reason to reserve that much for an iGPU.

Oct 25, 2023
Usually hardware reserved is for things like the iGPU. On my laptop I set the shared RAM for the iGPU at 2GB in BIOS and that shows in resource monitor as 2GB hardware reserved. That said I've never seen an iGPU allowing for 8GB of reserved RAM. You might want to boot into the BIOS and check and see what the iGPU RAM settings are and adjust them. Especially if you have a dGPU there is little reason to reserve that much for an iGPU.
When do you talk about iGPU are you talking about Graphic Card right? I have a 2070. Maybe would I reduce the reserved RAM in BIOS?

Oct 25, 2023
Sometimes this happens.
Can you list full hardware specs of your system?

Updating BIOS to latest version may help solving this.
Also check placement of ram modules, if they are in proper dual channel slots.
Of course! This is my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 3
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.7GHZ BOX
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 2x8GB CL16
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB x2
PSU: EVGA 600 W1
Graphic Card: Gigabyte GeForce® RTX 2070 Windforce 8GB GDDR6
Sound Card: SounBlaster Z

When do you talk about iGPU are you talking about Graphic Card right? I have a 2070. Maybe would I reduce the reserved RAM in BIOS?
An iGPU is the integrated GPU on your CPU. You have a 2070 which is a dGPU or discrete GPU. In your BIOS there might be a place where you can adjust the amount of RAM reserved for your iGPU. I don't know if there are any systems that will let you reserve 8GB, but there might be.
EDIT: You have a Ryzen 1700 so there isn't an iGPU.

Last edited:
You can disable the iGPU in BIOS but not everyone does that. On my desktop I have 512MB RAM reserved for the iGPU in case I need to troubleshoot an issue that might be caused by the dGPU.
By default iGPU is disabled with discrete graphics card installed.
You'd have to manually enable it.

Having iGPU enabled, if you don't actually use it, is just a waste of ram.

By default iGPU is disabled with discrete graphics card installed.
You'd have to manually enable it.

Having iGPU enabled, if you don't actually use it, is just a waste of ram.
I've built many systems and never was the iGPU disabled by default with installing a dGPU. Again you can reduce the RAM on the iGPU, my desktop is set at 512MB so basically nothing on 32GB, and have it around for troubleshooting. In fact it is quite often recommended to keep your iGPU enabled for that reason alone. That said OP has a Ryzen 1700 so the iGPU point is moot as it doesn't have one.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023
I've built many systems and never was the iGPU disabled by default with installing a dGPU. Again you can reduce the RAM on the iGPU, my desktop is set at 512MB so basically nothing on 32GB, and have it around for troubleshooting. In fact it is quite often recommended to keep your iGPU enabled for that reason alone.
I'm gonna try to setup it. I will setup 512MB as well. Thank you so much!

I've built many systems and never was the iGPU disabled by default with installing a dGPU.
I don't think, that's true.
Again you can reduce the RAM on the iGPU, my desktop is set at 512MB so basically nothing on 32GB, and have it around for troubleshooting. In fact it is quite often recommended to keep your iGPU enabled for that reason alone.
Keep iGPU disabled.
If you need to use iGPU, then remove discrete graphics card. iGPU gets enabled automatically.

Anyway - if you insist on keeping iGPU enabled, then 64MB is plenty for troubleshooting purposes.
No need to waste 512MB on it.

Oct 25, 2023
1. Update AMD Chipset Driver to version 18.50.16.01 or later.
2. Update BIOS version to F31
3. install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version)
4. Update BIOS to F51i
I have already updated AMD Chipset and BIOS F31, and installed EC FW Update Tool to the last version (this installation made my BIOS to F1) .

I'm trying to update to BIOS F51i but this not exist in https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

I tryed the last one, BIOS F51l, but system gave me the next error message: "Invalid BIOS Image"

What version can I update or could I do now?

All the best!

Oct 25, 2023
Try one before - F51h

If BIOS version was reset to F1, then
update to F31 first,
then to F51i or F51h.
I already updated to F51h. But reserved memory is still at 8GB.

Do I need to do something more now?

I looked for in BIOS about iGPU option but it's not available yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS