[SOLVED] Restarting Computer Breaks It?

MetalMatty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
So, I am going to try and keep this short cause I need to head work soon but every time I restart my computer it breaks it.

It started about 2 or 3 weeks ago when I wanted to set up a Task Scheduler restart every day just to keep everything fresh. I set up the scheduler perfectly fine, but for some reason it got stuck on the "restarting" screen for HOURS, so I manually shut it down and back on. After that, I couldn't really use the computer. It would turn on fine, but every program I would open would only stay open for about 10 seconds before locking up and crashing. I noticed also that every time the programs died, CPU usage would spike enough to increase temps quite a bit, and the task bar would freeze as well. I am pretty positive it is "System Interrupts" that causes issues when everything locks up. Every time I managed to get task manager open in time, system interrupts would be high, in the 40-60% range for usage. And today when it was acting up again (see down below) task manager opened but then didn't update after it initially opened, and system interrupts was at 56%.

After doing a bunch of attempted fixes, the only thing that actually worked was running a chkdsk command and fixing the C: drive. Then everything runs fine with absolutely no issues.

This happened around 4 times using task scheduler, so I deleted that task out and for about 2 or so weeks I've been manually restarting the computer and it has been fine... Until yesterday.

Yesterday it was doing the same thing it did before, fixed it with chkdsk, and all was fine until 2 in the morning. Restarted it before I went to bed and when I woke up some auto-start programs had failed to start and this time just nothing was opening. I could click on a browser and it would do nothing, opening task manager did nothing, windows update screen wouldn't load, etc. I did the chkdsk repair again and it's fine.
Small note: While I was trying to figure out the problem initially, starting the computer in safe mode with networking was fine. It ran just like normal. The only new programs that were installed around the time all of this happened though was video games, specifically AC: Origins and recently Odyssey.

This harddrive isn't that old so I'm weary to think that it is the problem, but I have really bad luck with harddrives so I wouldn't really doubt it either.

Is this possibly something not hardware related?
I also run a MalewareBytes scan every single day just to be safe.

Computer is:

Gigabyte B450 Auros Elite
Ryzen 1600AF O/C to 3.9GHz
Gigabyte Triplefan RTX2060
WD 1TB HDD
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHZ 16GB RAM
EVGA 750W PSU, though it is 4 or so years old and it was the cheap $55 one.

It DID do the new big feature update the other day, so Windows is 100% up to date.

Last edited:
Solution
Restarts are the only time a WIn 10 PC with fast startup enabled is actually off, so it is unusual to have a problem caused by restarts. Due to way fast startup works, programs that load at startup can cause restart to fail

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

if that doesn't help, its likely drivers. I normally start with drivers as they are the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Restarts are the only time a WIn 10 PC with fast startup enabled is actually off, so it is unusual to have a problem caused by restarts. Due to way fast startup works, programs that load at startup can cause restart to fail

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

if that doesn't help, its likely drivers. I normally start with drivers as they are the easiest thing to replace.
Do you have newest BIOS/Chipset drivers?

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.
upload it to an image sharing website and show link here
All I will do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Solution