Question Restarting instead of power off because of older hardware?

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
Toward the end of 2023, I had to replace Windows 7 with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. This introduced a number of issues with display, USB, privacy, and even power. Simply trying to turn the machine off has become a fight. Whether via the Start\Power menu or ALT-F4, the machine will randomly refuse to power down completely, but will instead power down and restart. The only way to stop the restart is to hold the power button down once the fans shut off and display goes black. Yes, I've tried the various recommendations regarding fast shutdown and power profiles.

I'm going to do another fresh installation when I can find the time, but until then, I'm simply curious: Is this power issue something other users saw back in the day, when the upgrade to Windows 10 craze was at its peak, and everyone had hardware like mine?

• Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
• Intel Core i7-950
• EVGA X58 131-GT-E767-TR LGA 1366 SLI3 (BIOS v83 08-31-2011)
• CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB CAS 9 (triple channel DDR3)
• MSI VENTUS XS GTX 1660 Super 6GB
• Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
• FebSmart 4 Ports Superspeed 5Gbps USB 3.0 PCI Express Expansion Card
• Antec TPQ-1000 TRUEPOWER QUATTRO 1000 watt (that's 2011)
• Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 for C:
• ASUS PB278Q 27"

ubuysa

Distinguished
Windows is configured by default to auto-restart if "a system error occurs". When you get an auto-restart on shutdown it's because something is failing during the shutdown process causing Windows to auto-restart. What's failing is most likely to be a third-party driver or app, because the Windows modules don't make these kinds of error.

The first thing to try is a forced shutdown where all open apps are forcibly closed. Do that by entering the following command...
Code:
shutdown /s /f /t 000
The /s switch means 'shutdown', the /f switch means 'force close all open apps', and the /t 0 means 'shutdown now'.

Let us know whether that shuts it down with no auto-restart.

Why fight it?
Instead of trying to power down, use sleep to ram(no nibernate) instead.
That puts your pc and monitor into a very low power state,similar to full power off.
sleep/wake becomes a handful of seconds.

Reactions: zinkles