Question Restarting PC Occasionally Locks Up

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I'm having a weird quirk (ever since my latest reinstall of Windows 11) that only happens at restart. 95% of the time, I have no troubles restarting. But on occasion, when the system restarts to the point right before you would normally see the BIOS logo, it locks up. If I hit the reset button on the case, it then loads fine. This also never happens at shutdown.

I know this is one of those "It could be a million things" kinda problems, so here is as much info as I know to provide (and can give more if needed):
  • Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22631 Build 22631
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900x 12-Core Processor (3.70 GHz)
  • G15DK Motherboard 1.0 (most up-to-date bios installed)
  • 64GB Ram (tried multiple sticks, and it happens on any/all of them)
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
  • Two Western Digital 2TB SSD Hard Drives + 3 Extra Internal SATA Hard Drives
  • 700w power supply
  • USB Devices - Mouse, Keyboard and RPG Mouse Pad
  • Fast Boot Turned Off (in both Windows 11 and my BIOS)
  • Page File Clears at Shut Down (via a reg key provided by Windows11 Forums)

Last edited:
I'm having a weird quirk (ever since my latest reinstall of Windows 11) that only happens at restart. 95% of the time, I have no troubles restarting. But on occasion, when the system restarts to the point right before you would normally see the BIOS logo, it locks up. If I hit the reset button on the case, it then loads fine. This also never happens at shutdown.

I know this is one of those "It could be a million things" kinda problems, so here is as much info as I know to provide (and can give more if needed):
  • G15DK Motherboard 1.0 (most up-to-date bios installed)
  • 64GB Ram (tried multiple sticks, and it happens on any/all of them)
  • Two Western Digital 2TB SSD Hard Drives + 3 Extra Internal SATA Hard Drives
  • 700w power supply

are all the sticks the exact same ram as in did it come in a actual kit

make and model of power supply

also your cpu cooler.

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
Just to follow up on this...

I tried Clean Boot, but didn't provide any insight. I knew that might be a long shot, as I only run the minimal services I need at start up anyway. Pretty much my antivirus, my dock I use for folders, my mouse/keyboard software, a sandbox program and Plex Media Server. I also make sure there aren't any unnecessary Windows services active either.

Here is a more detailed breakdown of all my hardware that I've been able to research since my initial post, which I hope might help further in the troubleshooting. Should also cover the two new inquiries above...
  • Wraith Prism AMD RBG LED AM4 Copper Core Base & Aluminum Heatsink with 4.13 inch fan
  • ASUS AMD B550 AM4 Micro ATX Motherboard (Model Prime B550M-K)
  • Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z 3200mhz C16-20-20-40 DDR PC4-25600 (4x16gb sticks = 64gb total)
  • 2x Western Digital 2TB SSD Hard Drives + 4 Internal SATA Hard Drives (2x NAS Drives, 2x Standard = 6x Drives Total)
  • Great Wall e750 750w 80Plus Gold ATX 12v power supply
  • Fast Boot Turned Off (in both Windows 11 and my BIOS)
  • Page File Clears at Shut Down (via a reg key provided by Windows11 Forums)
I do have one thought. Could it be one of the drives not getting enough power?

On my power supply, I only have one SATA power cable, which comes equipped with three SATA connectors. The first, I have running to my fan control board on the back of my motherboard. The other two are split (meaning I turn two into four). So on the second SATA connector, I have a splitter I'm running two drives from. On the third/last SATA connector, I have another splitter, which I'm running another two drives from.

So that's a total of 5x things on that one chord. Could I be overwhelming it? Or should it be able to handle that?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
Solution:

I found the watts for my particular chord (that can handle 52 total, and I'm cruising at about 35 total for all devices). So I feel confident in that one chord for now.

As for the lock up issue, I was able to narrow it down to the type of ram sticks (although it's a very specific and weird quirk where I have to match the new ones with the original two that came with my ROG). It seems to be the only ones they play nice together with (for some reason). Will swap out for a better motherboard later to remove some of these headaches if needed, as I'm sure that's contributing.

Thanks all for the help!