Restored files don't work

I made a backup of the C drive to my F drive using the xp pro backup utility.
I did a clean install and tried to restore my old files,again using the same
utility. Music files were restored perfectly, but, Photoshop and FarCry(a
game) won't work. I even tried re-installing the game, to no avail. Have I
done something wrong, or am I expecting too much from this utility?

You are expecting too much.. backup is used to ensure that user generated
documents et al can be re-instated in the event of system failure..

You should use a proprietary program that allows image creation..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"runyned" <runyned@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made a backup of the C drive to my F drive using the xp pro backup
>utility.
> I did a clean install and tried to restore my old files,again using the
> same
> utility. Music files were restored perfectly, but, Photoshop and FarCry(a
> game) won't work. I even tried re-installing the game, to no avail. Have
> done something wrong, or am I expecting too much from this utility?

Hi,

Programs have to be reinstalled, they cannot be restored by just backing up
the program folder. In order for a program to run, it requires registry
entries and, frequently, files placed in the system folders. This is only
accomplished by running the program setup from the original installation
media.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"runyned" <runyned@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made a backup of the C drive to my F drive using the xp pro backup
>utility.
> I did a clean install and tried to restore my old files,again using the
> same
> utility. Music files were restored perfectly, but, Photoshop and FarCry(a
> game) won't work. I even tried re-installing the game, to no avail. Have
> done something wrong, or am I expecting too much from this utility?

To help clarify what other have said: Single files, like MP3, JPG, etc can
be copied to any backup media by any method that is convenient, including
Ntbackup.exe. (Personally, I use XCOPY for personal files, since it can
copy only newer/chnaged files; at a command prompt, type XCOPY /? for help
about XCOPY; popular options include /S /V /H /D /R)

Simple excutable programs can also be copied, just like data files. But
large/complex executable files are (1) not single files, (2) are usually
spread over several directories, (3) always include one or more settings in
the windows registry (a large database of which program opens what files,
some settings for programs, key options of XP itself, etc.). These always
have to be re-installed, unless you make an image of the whole partition
containing the programs and the operating system.

To do a 100% backup, you need a third-party backup program, like Norton
GHOST or Acronis True Image. These copy all files, except some temp files
that XP will re-create when it reboots. They copy the files to a compressed
image. In general these programs copy all files on one partition, but they
can also copy all files on all partitions on a physical hard drive.
(Personally, I prefer backing up one partition at a time. It makes for
smaller backup sets and it is more universal, in case you ever replace the
hard drive. A semi-humorous related story: I once used GHOST to image all
of a 10 Gig disk, as a disk, not as separate partitions. I then restored
the image to a 40Gig disk. What I got was a 40 Gig disk with 10 Gig of
useful info, that did boot win98, but the other 30 Gig was raw/unformatted
space. I had to use partition Magic to expand the partitions into the free
disk areas. If I had done partition by partition backup/restores, I could
have expanded each as I restored it.)

"runyned" <runyned@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made a backup of the C drive to my F drive using the xp pro backup
>utility.
> I did a clean install and tried to restore my old files,again using the
> same
> utility. Music files were restored perfectly, but, Photoshop and FarCry(a
> game) won't work. I even tried re-installing the game, to no avail. Have
> done something wrong, or am I expecting too much from this utility?

Tyler

I used Norton ghost quite a bit about a year ago when I ran Win98.
I'd do a clean install, then a complete OS update and driver update, then
ghost the entire partition to file. Then copied it to a Win98 bootable CD.
It made for a extremely quick "fresh install" Very usefull when you are
installing and beta testing lots of software. I always like to start on a
clean slate each time. Especially when you are contantly changing and
tweeking drivers and settings to maximize results. I was always a mere 10
minutes away from a "clean install" if things went awry.. Ghost was
invaluable..
Tyler