Restoring original OS

Dieselkaine

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
My mom got a second hand laptop that originally came with windows 7 but has xp installed. Will a factory reset re-install windows 7?

Solution
My guess is probably not.
The recovery partition on the drive was probably wiped to install XP.
Look on the bottom or inside the battery compartment for a windows 7 coa activation code.
If you find one, borrow or download a stock windows 7 install dvd and use that to install windows 7. The coa activation code should activate your new install.

While you are at it, consider replacing the hard drive with a ssd. It will make the performance magical.
My guess is probably not.
The recovery partition on the drive was probably wiped to install XP.
Look on the bottom or inside the battery compartment for a windows 7 coa activation code.
If you find one, borrow or download a stock windows 7 install dvd and use that to install windows 7. The coa activation code should activate your new install.

While you are at it, consider replacing the hard drive with a ssd. It will make the performance magical.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

If the Factory reset partition is still there, yes. It will also bring back all the original factory crapware applications.
as always, for any used PC, a fresh reinstall is highly recommended.

Dieselkaine

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015

As much as i love my mother i'm not getting her an SSD, now me on the hand. Absolutely yes. Finances willing :hum: Thanks for the quick reply.