Question restrict particular websites?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I'm not looking for parental control because I will have the access password

In fact, I am personally addicted to a few websites that I am really unable to control myself but they are really wasting my time and energy.

I'd like to know if there is any software or extension where it can block me from visiting particular sites for a certain period of time? probably no password can override the rule...only after the time has passed

or do I really need to get someone to keep the password for me?

final question is the cross platform, I have a few different browsers, will it work in one browser while not working for another? Then it will be of use IMO

I have been hearing about parental control for years but never tried it before.
Is it something that can resist access to certain websites?
In fact I am not a parent but I personally want to resist myself from visiting some sites that I am addicted to, I have
someone else who can set some passwords for me. Is Parental control what I need?
Which software will you recommend?

If you hold-know the password and you know how you did the settings you will know how to undo it...
Someone else have to setup everything since you don't trust yourself!
If it's not someone else... there is no escaping yourself...
Better solution will be to change your habits, or just let it run its course and hope you will get bored/mature about it at some point.

Reactions: Quanticriver

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
I'm not looking for parental control because I will have the access password

In fact, I am personally addicted to a few websites that I am really unable to control myself but they are really wasting my time and energy.

I'd like to know if there is any software or extension where it can block me from visiting particular sites for a certain period of time? probably no password can override the rule...only after the time has passed

or do I really need to get someone to keep the password for me?

final question is the cross platform, I have a few different browsers, will it work in one browser while not working for another? Then it will be of use IMO
The only thing i can think is make a python scrip that reads the packets from wireshark and when the destination of the packet has the ip of the website you dont want to visit it will alt+f4 or ctrl+w. I haven't used the python library that reads wireshark packets, but it will proabably have the command to read the dest ip. You can also make it a file to start at startup and pyinstaller to make it an exe, so it doesn't show the command line and/or rbtray to run it at background.
You can still just close the app, but that's the best solution i can think of.

4745454b

Titan
Depends on which device you are talking about. Normally, when I hear PC, I think of my TV. You should be able to set the TVs PC for time of day, and/or to respect the flags at the start of most shows. So if you set it for TV-13, you won't be able to watch shows that have a TV-13 or TV-MA rating. Not every show has the flag, but this should help.

You said however that you want to not visit sites. To me that says you are worried about internet activities, not TV. There are a number of "parental control" programs out there that will disallow things. Gambling, nudity, etc. You should be able to manually add any site that for whatever reason isn't included. It will work. But there are still ways around this. My mother tried this to stop my brothers from doing things and it bothered me when I went up there to watch my dad when she was gone. (He was bed ridden and needed 24/7 care, I was over 19, married, etc.) I won't get into how to get around this as that's against the rules of this forum. But once I knew what she did I knew how to fix it. My advice isn't to rely on this type of tech, but to actually seek help with what the issue issue. It will be better for you in the long run.