[SOLVED] Retaining Windows 10 OS while migrating from Intel to Ryzen

Dec 18, 2019
Hi!

I'm going to migrate from Intel hardware to AMD. Im planning on keeping my current windows setup (so not replacing current HDD to a new one) as I don't want to reinstall games, software etc. Can anyone guide me from experience if I can avoid a fresh installation of windows. I have a windows 10 Home edition and in the activation screen it says "Windows is activated with a digital license liked to your microsoft account"

I'd really appreciate your help.

P.S
Not sure if this will help but my current system is a core i7 4700k with an Asus H97-Pro Gamer Motherboard.

Solution
Hi!

I'm going to migrate from Intel hardware to AMD. Im planning on keeping my current windows setup (so not replacing current HDD to a new one) as I don't want to reinstall games, software etc. Can anyone guide me from experience if I can avoid a fresh installation of windows. I have a windows 10 Home edition and in the activation screen it says "Windows is activated with a digital license liked to your microsoft account"

P.S
Not sure if this will help but my current system is a core i7 4700k with an Asus H97-Pro Gamer Motherboard.
The license will work.

The actual install, however...
A clean install is strongly recommended, often required.
Basically, 3...

USAFRet

Titan
Hi!

P.S
The license will work.

Basically, 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3. And going from an old Intel to a new Ryzen...I'd expect #2.
Sysprep is a possibility, but on a single system, that is no less work than just a clean install.

Reactions: Babarali85
Solution
Dec 18, 2019
The license will work.

Basically, 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3. And going from an old Intel to a new Ryzen...I'd expect #2.
Sysprep is a possibility, but on a single system, that is no less work than just a clean install.

Thank you for your help! I think ill just go with a fresh install.