Retiring an old Dell. Advice?

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I have had an old Dell Dimension 3000 sitting around since I built a new PC. I was originally planning to run it as a HTPC or NAS server in it's twilight years. But by now, I feel it is to old/underpowered/inefficient to use for any of those things. Is it time I decide to part ways with it or is there some use that I haven't considered?

Specifications:

- Pentium 4 (non-HT) @ 2.8 Ghz
- 2 Gb DDR1 RAM @ 333 Mhz
- Nvidia Geforce GS 8400
- 320 Gb 5400 RPM HDD
- CD, DVD and Floppy drives

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I'm just worried about its power consumption from being on 24/7. IIRC Pentium 4 wasn't spectacular in terms of efficiency. If it wasn't affixed to a proprietary motherboard I would have tried underclocking it.

If you're curious about Linux, there's a good use for it! You might really enjoy seeing what Linux has to offer, all the different visual interfaces etc.

Another machine already fulfilled this role as an Ubuntu test bench. But I certainly would look at another distro if I decide to make it into an NAS backup server.

I've tried over 30 distros, and didn't find anything better than Ubuntu so you've got a good one there :)

EDIT: I mean Ubuntu derivatives, specifically Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Bodhi were the best - combine the foundation of Ubuntu with the (IMO) far nicer interfaces of Xfce, KDE and Enlightenment 17.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I've actually just started playing around with FreeNAS (as per your recommendations). I will be getting a Kill A Watt wall outlet meter to determine total power draw of the Dell. If it consumes too much power I may remove some RAM, the ODDs, GPU and tweaking what few CPU settings exist in the BIOS.