Question Retro Revival. Z75 nvme boot compatability

Aug 8, 2024
Hi folks.

I'm currently reviving my old gaming PC for my wife as a sort of retro gaming machine.

The motherboard is pretty damn dated. ASrock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155.

Obviously there's no m.2 slot on the board and the bios predate nvme drives anyway. I'm looking at just getting an expansion card to add an nvme drive instead of using the old HDD. Somewhat future proofing. So that when I inevitably build a new system instead of buying a dated drive i wont have any interest in using in 2 years. I can just move my storage device over. Sata III drives are already dated and only a little bit cheaper that modern gen3/4 nvme drives. So I'd just like to leapfrog over that.

Has anyone had any success installing an m.2 drive on an expansion card with this chipset? Specifically as a boot drive. There seems to have been success with the Samsung 950 and perhaps later drives. I'm not interested in spending the premium on Samsung when there's plenty of other drives with equivalent performance. Which I won't actually even get out of the drive in this system. I suppose I could also try a sata 3 adapter. I wouldn't get the speed of the pcie but at least the drive it self won't be dated by 10 years. Could still run into the same boot compatibility issue however.

That's the main goal for me. I don't want to buy parts i can't/won't use for a future build. Additionally I'm puting this system in a new modern case. Modern cases have pretty poor support for 3.5" and 2.5" drives. It's there. But using the 3.5" drive interferes with cable management and airflow for the PSU. And 2.5" drives get very little airflow for cooling but interfere with cable management much less and they can typically be mounted behind the motherboard. This is particularly true for the case I'm looking at. NZXT H5 Flow.

Also Is windows 11 going to work well with this system?

System specs

ASrock Z75 pro3
Intel i5 3470 "new"
8GB Gskill ripjaws 1877 ddr3. Gonna get a 16 gig kit
MSI Nvidia GTX750ti
Thermaltake Smartpower 500w PSU

Cases I'm looking at
LIAN li lancool II
Lian Li Lancool 216
Coolermaster TD500Mesh V2
Coolermaster master box 600
Silverstone Fara R1 pro
NZXT H5 Flow

Interested in opinions on the cases. They all perform similarly with thermals. The current(supposed) stock configuration of the H5 Flow beats out all of these cases in most areas. And it's only 80 on Amazon. That's assuming the listing is accurate with 4 total fans.