[SOLVED] Retro Win98 graphics card...fx 5700 LE?

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
Hi, I'm building a retro Windows 98 gaming rig, would an fx 5700 LE play well with games, say, from 1996-1999 or 2000? I had Macs in the 90s so never got into the PC side of gaming (missed out on a lot I know), though the games my mate had at the time looked great. Not too bothered about dates newer than Y2K as I have a current PC for that with a 1060. For the retro stuff the only specific titles I can think of would be Tomb Raider, Doom, Quake etc. The usual suspects!

Thanks 👍🏻

Solution
Yes - you may even try the most famous strategy game from that era - Age of empires and the Conquerors edition.
My personal favorite, still runs it under Windows 10, with a free steam modifications app to let the game think we are on XP.

Doom is not for children, it really is too violent and scary with its dark environment and sudden attacks from frightful monsters.
Seriously - keep your children/grands away from this game.

You would probably have a hard time finding the DVD's though, if any, they would be second hand on fleebay or other places.
Note that later versions (steam etc) does NOT work with old 16 bit PC's and OS

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Yes - you may even try the most famous strategy game from that era - Age of empires and the Conquerors edition.
My personal favorite, still runs it under Windows 10, with a free steam modifications app to let the game think we are on XP.

Doom is not for children, it really is too violent and scary with its dark environment and sudden attacks from frightful monsters.

You would probably have a hard time finding the DVD's though, if any, they would be second hand on fleebay or other places.

Reactions: mattnicholas.art
Solution

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi, I'm building a retro Windows 98 gaming rig, would an fx 5700 LE play well with games, say, from 1996-1999 or 2000? I had Macs in the 90s so never got into the PC side of gaming (missed out on a lot I know), though the games my mate had at the time looked great. Not too bothered about dates newer than Y2K as I have a current PC for that with a 1060. For the retro stuff the only specific titles I can think of would be Tomb Raider, Doom, Quake etc. The usual suspects!

Thanks 👍🏻

Yes, the 5700 LE would work. A Radeon 7500 or 8500 would also work great for those older games. 9800 Pro or even XT if you can find one of those. I ordered the 9700 Pro when Doom was 1st unveiled but changed it last sec to the newly released 9800. I drooled over it's 128mb of RAM. Then I got my hands on the Bios for the Pro version and flashed it.. Don't forget to add the original AVP to your list of retro games. :) As @kaehligj mentioned, AOE is a must.

Reactions: mattnicholas.art

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018

Thanks for the info/advice - would prefer to collect the boxed titles if I can. Also, not a problem re: kids or grans, never had neither. For better or worse!

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
Yes, the 5700 LE would work. A Radeon 7500 or 8500 would also work great for those older games. 9800 Pro or even XT if you can find one of those. I ordered the 9700 Pro when Doom was 1st unveiled but changed it last sec to the newly released 9800. I drooled over it's 128mb of RAM. Then I got my hands on the Bios for the Pro version and flashed it.. Don't forget to add the original AVP to your list of retro games. :) As @kaehligj mentioned, AOE is a must.

Thanks! Nice to hear 128MB is considered sweet, for the time. Will add AVP 👾

Reactions: Mrgr74

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
Sound Blaster? Pro? 16? Awe64? Which one? lol.. I had an AWE64 for an ISA slot. Thing was about a foot long and 4 inches high. Damn if it didn't sound great tho.. (For the time of course)

heh, it's a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 CT4830. Short and stocky but it'll have bags 'o room in the Game Max Silent (black) I just got. Short on space here so the guts are going in the Max - it's not period correct but I'm still on the hunt for a NOS or pristine used beige beauty 😁