Question Reverting Surface tablet back to Windows 8?

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Hey guys, I just got this used 13" Surface Tablet with Windows 10 Pro. Owner said it had come originally with Windows 8 so I would like to reinstall windows 8 on it as the unit does not work well with windows 10, how can I do this please?

Surface.jpg

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Do you have access to a USB hub? Or what about the Surface docking station?
I will try to get one tomorrow morning and get back to you. I would like to know how to get the device serial number to find out which device this actual is? Or since I can get into this system, there should be some OS reset option somewhere?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You would find that info in the UEFI/BIOS (the serial number).

I had a similar model as yours a few years ago. It was part of the "manuals" for a cyber certification course I was enrolled in.

Decent enough e-reader and basic web browser, but very lacking in storage, main memory, and more than basic uses.

Whether 8.x or 10, it is a bit of a weak performer.

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
You would find that info in the UEFI/BIOS (the serial number).

I had a similar model as yours a few years ago. It was part of the "manuals" for a cyber certification course I was enrolled in.

Decent enough e-reader and basic web browser, but very lacking in storage, main memory, and more than basic uses.

Whether 8.x or 10, it is a bit of a weak performer.
Thanks for that info but how can I get the windows 8 back again, would only option be to install it from a win8 boot disk?

If you dont want to do a usb hub, you can always open the on screen keyboard.

Might take a min to do since you cant type but open notepad, then open the internet and hut for the letters and paste them into notepad. then open the start menu and past the word in the search to open the keyboard.

Then you can at least use that to go find the driver you need to install.

Reactions: mikehende

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Hey guys, I got the hub but I am thinking since the goal is to get win 8 back on this unit then I might as well just try to get win 8. I have all versions of win 8 on discs so I can attach an external optical drive to the hub and boot that way.

The serial number is 002557254352 and this is showing Surface Pro 9? If this is the unit, can you guys tell me which version of windows 8 I should be reinstalling please?

Just putting this out there as i dont know, but just a thought.

Do you have the CD key for the version of windows installed now? Im not sure if you install windows 8 if it will pull the key from microsoft, if the original key was used to upgrade to windows 10 it might not allow the key downgrade.

Reactions: mikehende

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Just putting this out there as i dont know, but just a thought.

Do you have the CD key for the version of windows installed now? Im not sure if you install windows 8 if it will pull the key from microsoft, if the original key was used to upgrade to windows 10 it might not allow the key downgrade.
No, I only have the OS on self-created bootable disks since years ago. But would be no issue to purchase a key for it.

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Standard should suffice. 64-bit.

Before doing this, have you tried installing the Windows 10 drivers?
Thanks. Oh, I now see what you mean, I had thought the appropriate drivers would be included in the win8 disc but I am guessing you mean I will need the drivers you have linked to in any case. Ok, so let me try that first now, get back to you guys.

When you say "the unit does not work well with windows 10" what specific problems are occurring?
Correct, the touchscreen isn't working. So with a mouse attached no option to add a usb keyboard
How exactly installing windows 8 will supposedly fix that problem?
If touch screen is broken, it will not work in windows 8 either.

Did you check Device Manager?
Any entries with yellow exclamation marks?

Last edited:

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
How exactly installing windows 8 will supposedly fix that problem?
If touch screen is broken, it will not work in windows 8 either.

Did you check Device Manager?
Any entries with yellow exclamation marks?
This machine is updating like crazy, I have to restart many times These are the only entries in the DM with exclamations.

updates.jpg