Review my part list?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Krasniye

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Alright so I am pretty confident in my parts but suggestions would be appreciated. I'm 16 and building for the first time, and my mom being a concerned parent insists I have my list reviewed by people with more experience than I (Which I don't blame it's a smart move!) Anyway before I get started I know there are a lot of Intel fanboys, however I am not going with Intel for the processor and that is absolutely final. The goal was an under $1000 rig with a 1080p monitor. I'll also include the max amount I am willing to pay for a certain part if you want to make any suggestions.
Underlined text is changes I've made due to your suggestions already
CPU: FX-8320 8-Core ($170 budget)
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo ($50 budget)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX Pro ($135 budget)
Memory: Kingston Blu 8gb (2x4gb) ($80 budget)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($65 budget)
GPU: EVGA GTX 760 4GB ($299 budget)
Wifi Adapter: M'eh who cares it's a PCI Asus one
Case: Corsair 200r ($ <80 budget)
PSU: Rosewill Hive 750w Semi-Modular (750w to run 2x 270x eventually) ($90 budget)
LG Optical Drive DVD/CD writer

Monitor: Asus VS228-H 21" 1080x1920 (Budget $150)

Extra Information: I want to be able to run modern games at ultra settings with a smooth fps, however I want to have an all around good computer as well. You will have a very hard time convincing me to get a different processor, but everything else you can make some recommendations. Also maybe mentioning some experience you have might be nice.

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
He is just trying to get it working for now. If he isn't going to buy an SSD, no way he should buy a mechanical board right now either.

Also, 4Gb GDDR5 is complete overkill for a monitor runing 1920x1080 resolution, your computer will not use about 2Gb of that even with full load. I suggest either stepping down to a 2Gb GTX 760 or step up to a GTX 770. Since you say you want to do xfire 270x cards you really should start by purchasing one, rather than one of these nvidia cards. Or just SLI a 760 later.

Again,. 4Gb is overkill on that one monitor. You would either need a higher res monitor or a multi-monitor set up to use that much VRAM.

KillerGamer

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Read his previous messages. He has clearly stated that he wants a good keyboard and mouse. He was planning to go for the Sidewinder X4. Hence, I suggested him to buy s mechanical one which would cost him the same as the Sidewinder X4.

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

I must have missed what you are referring to. This is all I saw "...keyboard that isn't awful, and a proper mouse..." Non-mechanical keyboards are still viable to game with. I infer his statement to mean that he would like a decent gaming keyboard be it membrane or mechanical as long as the price fits.

KillerGamer

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

An MS Sidewinder X4 is &44.99 and is not mechanical. A mechanical one with Cherry MX Black switches is $55. It is a fact that mechanical keyboards are better and spending $5-$10 isn't much if you get a mechanical one. The mechanical keyboard I'm referring to is the Rosewill RK-9000BL. I agree that I may have misinterpreted him, but I strongly hold my point that spending a little extra and getting a mechanical keyboard is better and is well worth it.

Krasniye

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

Only reason it says 270x because that was my original GPU and I forgot to change it. I will be happy running 2 or whatever GPU I get, they don't have to be 270x cards. And I suppose you're right on the 4gb thing guess I'll switch some things around and get a better case or something

Krasniye

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

I would in fact settle for a non-mechanical keyboard but since it's $5-$10 more I'll go ahead and get that one instead. I wanted something with red backlighting to go with the eventual red and black theme of the case, but I'm willing to give that up for something which performs 2x as well.

Krasniye

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Alright so I'm going to get a cheapy thrift store keyboard to begin with and save for the mechanical. I'm debating on getting a GTX 770 because it's a little above my budget but we'll see.

KillerGamer

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

The 770 is worth it. Mechanical keyboards aren't a need as you can be happy with a rubber dome or a membrane. It's just that if you get a $45 keyboard, it's better spending those extra $5-$10 on a mechanical rather than getting a membrane which you could get for dirt cheap. Getting a 770 would be wise as you won't be upgrading that frequently (I assume) and it will last for a long long time.