Question Revived laptop, no network adapters found

Chrifister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hello everyone!

I have a revived/repaired Acer 7551g-7459 laptop and neither Debian, Ubuntu, or Windows 7 can detect both the wired ethernet and the mini PCIe wireless network adapters. No errors, just not detecting them at all.

A little background. This laptop was on its way to the garbage and I took it instead to have a look at. Visually it looked like it had sustained damage to the bottom of the shell, like someone put it on the floor upside down and stomped on it twice. There are two impact points where the shell cracked and was bent inward. One is near the wireless card slot and the other is near the fan. Plugged her in and she powers on!

Noticed the LCD panel is shattered but an external monitor works. Problem finding the OS on the HDD, which is expected considering the HDD is making clicking noises and is likely dead. Booting from a Windows ISO from a flash drive shows me the keyboard has keys stuck on. The fan is also making a noise but it appears it's coming from the broken and bent in plastic touching the fan. Okay so not too bad, everything is replaceable.

A search on the interwebs reveals that a replacement LCD is ridiculously expensive, as is the keyboard. Not worth it in the end. Happen to check for a complete shell and came across a listing of the same laptop that says it had no display. The user says an external monitor didn't work either. Hoping it was the GPU on the mobo I purchased it for less than a third of the cost of a replacement LCD panel.

Replacement laptop arrives and is in excellent condition. No display although it does power on. Came with RAM and wireless card. So I swap in the mobo from the damaged laptop and combine the 4 GB sticks of RAM for a little upgrade. Display works! Added a good HDD and an OS and confirm keyboard and touchpad work. Awesome!

Had no networking though. Tried manually installing drivers but no luck. Went through Debian and Ubuntu and now have Windows 7 installed. No network adapters in Device Manager. No problem or unknown devices. Missing chipset drivers maybe?

Normally after a fresh install of Windows I would visit the manufacturer's site and pull all the drivers and software. Seems Acer has forgotten this laptop because the SN, SNID, and model number cannot be found. Finally hooked up an Alfa I had lying around and managed to install chipset drivers from Windows update. Still no luck. Tried swapping the mini wireless card and still nothing.

Is it possible for the original mobo to have physical damage in the exact one or two spots responsible for communicating with the wired and wireless network adapters? Is there something I'm missing? It's actually a decent 17" laptop that I will give to my daughter but I can't let it go just yet.

Thanks everyone

Chrifister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
What are the chances of damage to the connections for both the wired and the wireless adapters?

Currently using an Alfa wireless card but just curious. If one or the other network adapter wasn't working I'd chalk it up to damage but both not working almost seems like it could be software related. Looks like the BIOS is up to date. I don't see any cracks in the mobo. The wireless mini PCIe connector seems tight to the board and not loose.

David3290321

Commendable
BANNED
Nov 20, 2021
If it isnt a hardware issue, windows could have installed the drivers incorrectly, try and find the exact adapter drivers example: realtek 2.5 gbe family adapter driver from the realtek website

Chrifister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
The wired LAN driver wouldn't install. Can't remember exactly what it was. Will have to look again after work.

The wireless WLAN is an Atheros AR5B97 I believe and the driver does install but says something like device could not start or device not working.

Part of the problem is Acer no longer has a driver download page for this laptop. AMD doesn't have the chipset driver for download and says get it from the manufacturer. I think Windows Update may have installed some chipset driver. Who knows if it's correct? The chipset is Northbridge RS880m and Southbridge SB820. Found that by looking up the mobo schematics. Did manage to find some drivers from a Lenovo driver download page for one of their laptops but no luck.