Rewiring a SATA power cable with a 4-pin female Molex?

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I have a pretty generic PSu from my old HP PC. However, I stuck it in a new case and on a new Motherboard with all my old parts and such, and that all works perfectly. However, the case (Antec GX700) has a fan controller on the top of the case. Using this would allow manual fan control and enable me to use all of them, as there are not enough headers to power them all. It is powered by a 4-pin Molex. The problem is, I don't have a female Molex on my PSu. A friend of mine, somewhat prominent at jury-rigged electrical engineering, suggested I cut the extra SATA power cable connector off and a female Molex I have lying around and crimping the two black (ground?), one yellow, and one red (leaving out the orange) wires together. Would this work? Is it safe to do (in terms of the electrics, not human safety)? Thanks.

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
My SATA power cables has two black, a red, a yellow, and an orange. I'll give it a shot later, when I'm not using my computer.

Taking another look at wires, the Molex ones are just a tiny bit thicker. This may just be the rubber, but if not, will it make a difference?

IHazABone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I am absolutely positive I know what connectors I'm talking about. It's a generic HP PSu - no labeling. You won't find it. I tried a while back. I just want to know if it's safe to replace the connector or not.