[SOLVED] RGB Header Overload

Jan 16, 2020
Noob question. I was looking into getting an RGB splitter cable from amazon since I thought of having a 5 fan setup for my first build. One of the questions about this product mentioned overloading the rgb header. Would love to hear your explanation to this! :)

Jan 16, 2020
I don't find any amp rating for that board's RGB headers listed in the specs or owner's manual. So, I would assume 2.0 amp max until further info comes along. You might try asking Asrock on their support page.
Found it. Says it's 12V/3A, 36W for LED strip.

Would going over that amount break the header alone or will it completely fry the board?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Found it. Says it's 12V/3A, 36W for LED strip.

Would going over that amount break the header alone or will it completely fry the board?
It could kill the electronic circuit that supplies power to the headers. Or it could just disable them (to prevent damage) when there is an overload. That will depend on the engineer's design criteria. To be safe, I would avoid exceeding the rated max current.
Do you know what the 5 x fans' RGB lighting load is going to be?

Jan 16, 2020
It could kill the electronic circuit that supplies power to the headers. Or it could just disable them (to prevent damage) when there is an overload. That will depend on the engineer's design criteria. To be safe, I would avoid exceeding the rated max current.
Do you know what the 5 x fans' RGB lighting load is going to be?
I'm using 4 x 140mm Cooler Master's Masterfan Pror Air Pressure but I couldn't find on the box about the RGB load. The 120mm does have an RGB rated voltage of 5 VDC and 0.34A for RGB rated current though.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm using 4 x 140mm Cooler Master's Masterfan Pror Air Pressure but I couldn't find on the box about the RGB load. The 120mm does have an RGB rated voltage of 5 VDC and 0.34A for RGB rated current though.
If the smaller fan's RGB lighting load is 0.34A, I'd suspect the larger fans to be that or a tiny bit more due to more lighting surface. Let's say ~ 0.4A or so. Doing the math, it looks like you'll be OK with all of them on the one header.