Question RGB not working on one of my Ballistix RAM modules ?

myne145

Prominent
Feb 10, 2021
Hello,
Recently I wanted to play around with my RGB, when I noticed that one of my Ballistix modules doesn't respond to any RGB change I made. Instead it shows this default (I think) pattern: Video Here
At first it seemed like it's Armoury Crate issue, so I tried setting it up in OpenRGB, but that didn't do much. OpenRGB doesn't even detect this one module. Other thing I noticed that it always is module in slot 3 - when I swapped them it was still the 3rd one.
What can be causing this issue?
Any help is very appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Other thing I noticed that it always is module in slot 3 - when I swapped them it was still the 3rd one.
Do you mean it doesn't matter what stick is in slot 3, it still plays up, or its always the same stick regardless of where it is?

If its first, it sounds like its motherboard, not memory
If its always the same stick, you might need to contact Crucial and see what they suggest. It seems a bit rough to have to RMA 4 sticks just cause one doesn't play.

What are specs of the PC?

is this you?

When I populate all the 4 RAM slots one of the slots(slot 3 from the left) is unable to sync the RGB on the ram which is very strange. I have tried swapping the ram sticks and have even tried to only install 1 Ram in that slot without any luck. Have followed all the steps of uninstalling/reinstalling the Aura software, even installing a fresh windows but no luck, and updating and rolling back BIOS.

As if not, it appears to be a Asus problem

myne145

Prominent
Feb 10, 2021
Do you mean it doesn't matter what stick is in slot 3, it still plays up, or its always the same stick regardless of where it is?
The first one. Doesn't matter which module it is, it's always in slot 3.

is this you?
Sounds exactly like my issue.

I tried searching for Crucial MOD Utility download but instead I found This comment on a thread asking for download.
When it was avaliable (like 1,5 - 2years from now) I tried changing it, but it also didn't work. It was always like that, it definetly isn't faulty BIOS or driver.

My PC specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus (no WIFI)
Crucial Ballistix 4x8GB 3600mhz CL16
MSI RTX 2070 Super GAMING X TRIO
Adata XPG S11 PRO 1TB
2x Samsung 860EVO 500GB
Sound Blaster X AE-5 sound card
Seasonic Focus GX 750W PSU

Colif

Win 11 Master
I feel its a bug in the Asus bios. It seems to happen to both X570 & B550 boards.
DIMM_A1 = slot number that doesn't play nice

The only people who can fix it are Asus. it might be a bug in how the BIOS treats that slot.
So 4 sticks of Crucial Ballistix + Any Asus AMD board of current generation
the X470 had issues as well.
Do you have latest version of Armory crate?

or its the ram itself... Looking at comments on a video, it seems Aura is only software that works with this ram, and as you can tell... only just.

Software called Crucial MOD could have been used to control ram and let Aura look after everything else - it just seems it stopped working in the last 6 months.
refer complaints

Did you try this as it lists the ram - https://rgbsync.com/wiki/Supported_Devices#Crucial

the problem could in fact be the combination, who is at fault is difficult. See if rgbsync can do anything different.

myne145

Prominent
Feb 10, 2021
Yes, I downloaded latest Armory Crate version. Tried using RGBSync but I can't even launch it, it's been stuck on this screen for over 5 minutes now:
Screenshot-1446.png

Edit: It just gave me "Program stopped working" dialog.
I tried using SignalRGB trial version before and it also showed didn't detect the module in slot 3.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wonder what drivers it uses. i wonder what rgb drivers you have installed. could be a little messy

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

might not help but we can at least look and I can show you how to disable them at boot, as it could be a conflict stopping RGBSync from running.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ene.sys is a driver used by Asus & Gigabyte, its a 3rd party RGB driver.
signalrgbdriver.sys is a give away

Now to identify unknown drivers just in case:
do you have Paragon hard drive software?
what anti virus?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

this doesn't delete anything, just stops non microsoft programs running at startup.

Easily reversed once you finished. Gives clean slate.

Then try running autoruns and use it to stop both the RGB drivers above from running with windows. It won't stop other programs running them after startup but it might let you run RGBSync... If it uses one of the drivers, it can start it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns (run as admin)

then restart and run that program. See if it can get anywhere.

Last edited: