Rifleman or Carbineer?

I am at Marksman 3/2/3/3 and am nearly at the required XP for Carbineer but
someone told me Rifleman is a better profession...I like hitting targets
from far away before engaging them close quarters...I have about 20,000 of
the 70,000 XP needed for Rifleman, but I only need about 5,000 more XP for
Carbineer....which should I pursue and why?

"Rob McCartney" <robmac1701e@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am at Marksman 3/2/3/3 and am nearly at the required XP for Carbineer
but
> someone told me Rifleman is a better profession...I like hitting targets
> from far away before engaging them close quarters...I have about 20,000 of
> the 70,000 XP needed for Rifleman, but I only need about 5,000 more XP for
> Carbineer....which should I pursue and why?

Depends on which you like better, PvE or PvP. Carbineer, IMHO, is awesome
for PvE because of the fast number of specials, decent distance and rapid
fire rates of some carbines (when I was one, I used a sliced 2.2 laser
carbine to take out pretty much everything). HOWEVER, it does not have the
specials you need to take down the super-buffed bozo in composite who is
camping your missions (he shall remain nameless; I leave it to you to judge
whether I was justified in TKing his butt back to the cloners, then ignoring
his whines about how my title didn't say anything about me being a TKM too.)

Ahem. Rant over. Any riflemen want to speak up for their side?

--
Maryk Tormass, TKM/Doctor, Lowca
Come see my vendor in the Tantive Emporium, in Tantive, Naboo, just 1km N of

"The other Mike" <mtl?ink@earthl?ink.net> wrote in message

> "Rob McCartney" <robmac1701e@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I am at Marksman 3/2/3/3 and am nearly at the required XP for
Carbineer
> but
> > someone told me Rifleman is a better profession...I like hitting
targets
> > from far away before engaging them close quarters...I have about
20,000 of
> > the 70,000 XP needed for Rifleman, but I only need about 5,000 more
XP for
> > Carbineer....which should I pursue and why?
> >
> Depends on which you like better, PvE or PvP. Carbineer, IMHO, is
awesome
> for PvE because of the fast number of specials, decent distance and
rapid
> fire rates of some carbines (when I was one, I used a sliced 2.2 laser
> carbine to take out pretty much everything). HOWEVER, it does not
have the
> specials you need to take down the super-buffed bozo in composite who
is
> camping your missions (he shall remain nameless; I leave it to you to
judge
> whether I was justified in TKing his butt back to the cloners, then
ignoring
> his whines about how my title didn't say anything about me being a TKM
too.)

> Ahem. Rant over. Any riflemen want to speak up for their side?

(Not a rifleman, played one on my Alt for awhile (never Master) until
dropping BE on my main and getting back to fighting)

A couple things Rifleman has going for it - heavy AP weapon, tons of
damage types available, and great specials. From what I've seen, MR is
pretty bleh until you get to Master, but hitting with the T-21 at the
speed cap with Master Headshot should be able to drop most mobs that
aren't invulnerable to Energy. If it is going to take more than that,
cover and conceal shot should be able to let you kill just about
anything, but it might take more than you care to wait. The area dizzy
and posture changes are nice also.

Of course, Carbineers get area knockdowns, which is also nice, and who
can forget the great animations for ChargeShot :)

- Oalan

"Rob McCartney" <robmac1701e@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<XamdnWNvBKSPNpDcRVn-vA@comcast.com>...
> I am at Marksman 3/2/3/3 and am nearly at the required XP for Carbineer but
> someone told me Rifleman is a better profession...I like hitting targets
> from far away before engaging them close quarters...I have about 20,000 of
> the 70,000 XP needed for Rifleman, but I only need about 5,000 more XP for
> Carbineer....which should I pursue and why?

IMHO. Rifleman everytime.

Best PVE Prof in the game imho.

One of the best PvP profs in the game.

Highest Damage output at master of any prof. (Strafe 2)

Carbineer. Hmm. Damage isn't as high as Rifle. No AP3. Bugged
specials. Can't really see any reason to choose carbineer over rifle
tbh, unless your lazy. (Carb is /probably/ an easier grind)

Maybe after the combat balance.

"The other Mike" <mtl?ink@earthl?ink.net> wrote in message news:<RuiPc.6609$Jp6.5565@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

> Ahem. Rant over. Any riflemen want to speak up for their side?

At master a rifleman can fire his AP3 T21 at the speed cap of 1sec.
Carbineer will fire at the same rate but just can't compete with the
damage output of Strafe 2 or Headshot 3.

Rifleman also has a nice Stun Weapon. (Jawa)

Conceal shot is nice for solo'ing too.

Only speed advantage Carbineer has is before master.

"Chris Pollard" <chris@cdp181.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> "The other Mike" <mtl?ink@earthl?ink.net> wrote in message
>
> > Ahem. Rant over. Any riflemen want to speak up for their side?
>
> At master a rifleman can fire his AP3 T21 at the speed cap of 1sec.
> Carbineer will fire at the same rate but just can't compete with the
> damage output of Strafe 2 or Headshot 3.
>
> Rifleman also has a nice Stun Weapon. (Jawa)
>
> Conceal shot is nice for solo'ing too.
>
> Only speed advantage Carbineer has is before master.

Mixing with MBH would provide some nice specials that aren't bugged.
But that is a ton more skill points than a MR spends.

- Oalan

ringo

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

On 12 Aug 2004 02:40:15 -0700, chris@cdp181.demon.co.uk (Chris
Pollard) wrote:

>"Rob McCartney" <robmac1701e@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<XamdnWNvBKSPNpDcRVn-vA@comcast.com>...
>> I am at Marksman 3/2/3/3 and am nearly at the required XP for Carbineer but
>> someone told me Rifleman is a better profession...I like hitting targets
>> from far away before engaging them close quarters...I have about 20,000 of
>> the 70,000 XP needed for Rifleman, but I only need about 5,000 more XP for
>> Carbineer....which should I pursue and why?
>
>IMHO. Rifleman everytime.
>
>Best PVE Prof in the game imho.
>
>One of the best PvP profs in the game.
>
>Highest Damage output at master of any prof. (Strafe 2)
>
>Carbineer. Hmm. Damage isn't as high as Rifle. No AP3. Bugged
>specials. Can't really see any reason to choose carbineer over rifle
>tbh, unless your lazy. (Carb is /probably/ an easier grind)
>
>Maybe after the combat balance.

I have a Wookie thats MR with a good bit of Swordsman thrown in for
close encounters. The thing is a PvE wreaking machine, what does
survive the T21 dies even faster to the power hammer. Using rest of sp
to add what def I can but to be honest my job in a pvp encounters isnt
to tank anyway. So go with the rifle by all means and dont be afraid
to pick up some melee too it does help.

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I mastered Rifleman alot quicker then I did carbineer