[SOLVED] Rig turns on for a second then shuts down

seperoph

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
Building a rig for my step-father out of my previous rig parts but it just wont boot.

I have used a new mb and a new psu so far waiting for new ram to come in. All of which still causes the rig to not boot. First was with the old mb and other old components i was able to get the psu led to come on the cpu fan would turn on and spin but no boot and no visual to the monitor on any port. Then i replaced the mb with a brand new mb and brand new psu now i get everything turns on for a second then automatically shuts off.I am starting to think its either the ram or cpu at this point but ram is in route and if its the cpu i currently have no way to test if it is working or not. Was hoping to get some suggestions or advise from everyone here.

Solution
So that is sold by and shipped by Amazon, which means it must be old stock they have in reserve. I think Vic is probably correct that the old stock being sold by Amazon are from old production runs that never had new enough BIOS versions to run that CPU. Might need an older Bulldozer FX CPU in order to get it updated. Not worth it IMO if you don't already have one. Maybe send it to ASUS for flashing and perhaps they can test it at the same time. Often on very old motherboards that have been sitting, the capacitors will degrade even if never used.
Do you have a CPU cooler installed AND plugged in to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard?

Do you have the 4+4 (8) pin EPS 12v CPU power connector plugged in to the motherboard in addition to the 24 pin ATX motherboard power connector?

CPU failures are extremely rare unless there are bent pins.

What are the EXACT hardware specifications for this system. Motherboard model, CPU model, memory model or kit part number, PSU model, CPU cooler model, etc.?

Check EVERYTHING on the following page, TWICE, to be sure you haven't missed any steps.

Alex0008

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
Building a rig for my step-father out of my previous rig parts but it just wont boot.

I have used a new mb and a new psu so far waiting for new ram to come in. All of which still causes the rig to not boot. First was with the old mb and other old components i was able to get the psu led to come on the cpu fan would turn on and spin but no boot and no visual to the monitor on any port. Then i replaced the mb with a brand new mb and brand new psu now i get everything turns on for a second then automatically shuts off.I am starting to think its either the ram or cpu at this point but ram is in route and if its the cpu i currently have no way to test if it is working or not. Was hoping to get some suggestions or advise from everyone here.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Do so by shorting the two pins on your motherboard. Maybe that will help

seperoph

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
Tried clearing cmos checked and rechecked everything from that link We did forget the cpu power and now the fans and leds all stay on and powered but still no working boot no visual to any monitor or tv in the house tried multiple monitors and multiple cables none worked sadly. Ordered a mb speaker to hopefully figure it out more.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Tried clearing cmos checked and rechecked everything from that link We did forget the cpu power and now the fans and leds all stay on and powered but still no working boot no visual to any monitor or tv in the house tried multiple monitors and multiple cables none worked sadly. Ordered a mb speaker to hopefully figure it out more.

Again, it would be helpful to let us know the specs of the computer. It's hard to give advice when all we know is that some mystery PC isn't working.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
One very common error in new builds or re-builds is incorrect use of case stand-offs. Those are the little (usually brass) pieces about ¼" long, with a threaded hole in one end and a threaded shaft out the other. These are screwed into threaded holes bored in the case's back mounting plate, in locations so that the holes on top line up with the mounting holes in the mobo. Very often on new cases these come pre-installed, but sometimes they are just in a plastic bag. The trick is that there are several possible mounting hole layouts for mobos, so the case back plate comes with many more holes than you need, and the pre-installed stand-offs may NOT be positioned correctly. If there are none pre-installed, then you MUST use them correctly.

Ideally, there should be a stand-off under every mounting hole in the mobo for good support. But MOST IMPORTANTLY, there must NEVER be a stand-off under the mobo where there is NO matching mounting hole. If you look closely at the mounting holes, each has a little "daisy" of metal fingers around it. The intent is that the mobo should be grounded to the case by these little fingers and the screw through that hole into the stand-off, but at NO other location. A stand-off in the wrong place can cause a short circuit from a bottom trace of the board to the case back plate.

You need to check very carefully about this matching up. First, examine the mobo and find all its mounting holes - often three rows of three each. Then carefully unscrew the mounting screws. Try to see whether all of them have a stand-off under the hole. Next, remove the mobo from the case and inspect the stand-off locations carefully. If you have NONE, that's the problem! If they are all there, make SURE each location matches exactly the holes of the mobo. If necessary, unscrew the wrong ones and re-install at the correct spots. Re-position the mobo in the case and verify that there is a stand-off ONLY where there is a mobo mounting hole. When you're sure it's all correct, install the screws to fasten down the mobo.

Read this, it's likely there is something in there that might help you find your problem. Of particular note is a common failure by new builders to actually plug the monitor into the right spot. Be sure if you have a graphics card installed that you have plugged the monitor into the graphics card, and not the motherboard. Also, if this is a Ryzen build and is not one of the CPUs that has integrated graphics, which means most of them since there are only a couple with integrated graphics, then you must have a graphics card installed or you will get no display. Connecting a monitor to the motherboard will not result in any display on those CPU models.

seperoph

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
Sorry for the late reply got new ram and tested with that it appears the cpu went bad from what we can tell. The rig is a

Cpu- fx 4350
Gpu- Nvidia gtx 960
New ram- hyperx fury 1600 4gb
New psu- Thermaltake smart 700w 80+
New mbo- Asus m5a78l-m

Sorry can't recall the case or cpu fan.
Tripple checked all connectors and standoffs all good, waiting for mbo speaker to arrive to confirm suspicions.

Did you remove the CPU and check for bent pins? That would be the next logical step. Usually, unless the CPU has been used VERY, VERY hard, or overclocked for a long period of time with an aggressive profile, CPUs don't typically just "go bad" without some kind of user error or negligence. Motherboards and other components, sure, and it IS possible for a CPU to degrade to the point of failure but it's not something we usually see.

seperoph

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
We checked the cpu under a magnifying glass to check for bent pins and no bent pins we also got a mbo bio speaker thing that was recommended, turn it on and no error code at all we have 3 of them and checked all of them to be certain. Same situation.

You have 3 of what?

I'd say you need to follow the steps here:

Since you've tried two different boards, two different sets of RAM, two different power supplies, the only thing that should be connected to the board if you have it stripped down to the bare essentials (No drives, at all. No USB external devices, at all, except mouse and keyboard, and maybe not even those for now) that is still the same is the CPU so I'm really leaning towards that CPU has to be faulty no matter that it is pretty uncommon for them to just go bad. If it's been overclocked, or run with a crappy power supply or a poor quality motherboard or memory that was overclocked beyond safe levels, for too long, then certainly electromigration is a definite possibility as is the fact that something might simply have been shorted and cooked the CPU at some point. Takes less than a second of something being in contact in the wrong place for that to happen.

The fortunate thing is, if you want to call it that, FX processors are extremely inexpensive now, especially on the used market. Hell, I have thrown them away over the last couple of years.

Not connected correctly. Motherboard itself faulty. Speakers not worth a crap as in, cheaply made. I've received a box of speakers before, well, package really. Five system speakers. ALL did not work. That is not going to be a common scenario, but it's possible, because it happened to me.

Where did this new motherboard come from? I'm assuming it was used since there really aren't any more new AM3+ compatible boards that aren't strictly either chinese brands or old stock that somebody has stockpiled.

Lots of things come from Amazon that aren't actually sold by them, and ASUS doesn't sell on Amazon. The seller will be somebody else. Asus also doesn't sell AM3+ boards anymore new and doesn't mess with new old stock or used sales either. What is the link to the page where you purchased the motherboard from?

So that is sold by and shipped by Amazon, which means it must be old stock they have in reserve. I think Vic is probably correct that the old stock being sold by Amazon are from old production runs that never had new enough BIOS versions to run that CPU. Might need an older Bulldozer FX CPU in order to get it updated. Not worth it IMO if you don't already have one. Maybe send it to ASUS for flashing and perhaps they can test it at the same time. Often on very old motherboards that have been sitting, the capacitors will degrade even if never used.

Solution