Rig Upgrade Help

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
Hi guys.

Its been a good few months probably nearer a year since I've been quite active on my pc but am wanting to get back into it again, especially with the upcoming game releases this year (e.g. no mans sky, Battlefield 1 etc.) so am thinking of/wanting to upgrade mine.
Reason being my rig is pretty un-optimized and I don't have the technical know how really any more really on how to sort it (I love the hardware side of things but technical software internal side I am not). Plus for what it is games run very poorly for what they should, compared to even running them on low spec pcs so I find my self getting frustrated when I just want to sit down in an evening and play.
My current specs are as follows:
CPU: Fx8350 |
GPU: XFire R9 290X (two cards) |
CPU Cooler:Hyper 212 Evo |
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX |
RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Ripjaws G.Skill |
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus (red led) |
PSU: XFX XXX 850W |
SSD: Kingston 240gb |
HDD: Seagate 2Tb & 1Tb & 500Gb |

So what I would like to know is what's the best upgrade route to take for performance and optimization?
I'm quite happy to ditch the majority of the components of this rig and start again or just sell off and upgrade some of the current components. I have been thinking about now going down the Intel route but I know there is the new release from AMD just round the corner so I don't know if its worth just waiting it out for that instead?

My budget is just under £1000GPB

I won't be changing the PSU, or the HDD storage.
Main focus will probably be on CPU and MOBO
May be up for going for a larger SSD and don't know what's worth doing on the GPU front.
Be happy to change out the case and look at maybe watercooling both CPU and GPU.

Anyway thoughts and advice would be more than welcome :)

Solution
If you can wait and see what Zen has to offer, sure, wait.
But you can't really go wrong with intel these days.
Do you have 2 290xs in crossfire?
I can only recommend that you upgrade your CPU cooling. Get a Cryorig A40, or preferably an A40 Ultimate if it fits (use measuring tape to check the distance your motherboard has from the top fan slots, if you have 63.9mm of space FROM THE FAN MOUNT then the Ultimate fits). They are great because not only do they cool the CPU really well, they also include an extra fan you can mount on the pump to help cool the VRMs which increases stability. Once you upgrade the cooling, go all out and see if you can get your 8350 to the clockspeed of a 9590.

If you go this route you will be fine CPU-wise, and every other part of your system is fine (I assume that by XFire R9 290X you mean two R9 290Xs). You could also add another two identical RAM sticks for a total of 16GB of RAM.

Well, those should continue to serve you well, especially in 1080p(btw specify your gaming resolution aswell).

As for the rest:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£260.28 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£121.80 @ More Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£52.98 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£137.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £573.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-17 19:39 BST+0100