Question Right time to build a computer?

TdogRulez

Commendable
Nov 18, 2021
Is now a good time to build a gaming PC? Or am I better off waiting?

Thank You all who helped me buy a Great laptop
đź‘Ť

g-unit1111

Titan
The only reason to wait right now is that AMD is supposed to announce Zen 5 CPUs (Ryzen 9000 series) any day now and they're supposed to match or beat 14th gen Intel CPUs. The 15th gen Intels aren't coming until much later this year.

For the most part, as far as I know, the motherboards on AM5 aren't changing, but you will need a BIOS update to use the new CPUs. I think this is the end of the line for Z790, so new Intel boards will be incoming. Things like RAM and storage probably won't be changing for the most part.

GPUs are another story though. New NVIDIA GPUs won't be ready until next year, and the 5090 will probably set you back at least $2K or more. The next gen AMD RDNA4 GPUs are also mostly unknown at this point.

So the answer is basically up to you, how much you want to spend, and what monitor(s) you plan to use.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Prices are a little whack right now, going back up and/or stabilizing higher than what they were in most cases. Be wary of 13/14th gen Intel high end, watch the stories about the 4000 series Nvidia cards degrading....however:

Consider that an i5 from the last couple of gen are better than the i9 that came before it. RAM has some nice deals going, storage is priced ok. It would be relatively easy to build a really good 1080 or darned decent 1440 PC right now in the $1000 range, give or take a bit for your needs.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
LGA1700 is going to get two more chip lines according to rumors.

A set of locked and unlocked SKUs that are the normal high end chips with E-cores disabled. So 6 or 8 P cores but with the full clock speed availability. Think i5-13400, but the same clocks as the 13600k and so on. These may be OEM only.

And a new line of chips called Bartlett Lake which will be P core only by design, 8, 10, and 12 P core designs. Core 5, Core 7, and Core 9. Not sure if these will be unlocked SKUs or not. That is rumored for 2025.

My current theory is that Intel has demand for non E core parts as well as the need to have something in production to replace potentially already damaged/degraded 13th and 14th gen parts.

LGA1816 should launch with 800 series boards and support Intel Arrow Lake S. Which is the follow up to Intel Meteor Lake which is available now as mobile parts. This will be Intel's move to a DDR5 only platform.

AMD AM5 socket today isn't a bad idea. Ryzen 7000 and 9000 series guaranteed, and very likely one to two more generations of CPUs after that.

AMD just launched a few AM4 chips if that is any indication how long they support such things. 5600GT is one of them.

GPU wise, best price/performance is AMD last gen while supplies last. RX 6750XT, 6800, 6800XT can be found at amazing prices. 7800XT and the 7900 GRE are competitive as well. RX6650 XT and RX7600 honorable mentions depending on regional availability and budget.

Only Nvidia card I see with a lot of value in the 'mid-range' is the RTX 4070 Super as a decent 1440p card.

For the curious the Intel A770 16GB is a decent price/performance, but still has issues with some games. No real rumors about Intel's second generation discrete cards, possibly also delayed until 2025 like Nvidia, but the original timeline was November.

g-unit1111

Titan
LGA1700 is going to get two more chip lines according to rumors.

A set of locked and unlocked SKUs that are the normal high end chips with E-cores disabled. So 6 or 8 P cores but with the full clock speed availability. Think i5-13400, but the same clocks as the 13600k and so on. These may be OEM only.

That's why I wasn't sure about Z790 or not, but that is good to know. Though I'm wondering if there's any truth to the rumors that I've been seeing on channels like Gamers Nexus and Jayztwocents are true or if they only apply to SI systems.