RIM Stock Falls Below Book Value

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

email, calendar, and memo features,

how the hell dont they have this already?

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
it's pretty sad that they make promises to add functionality to a product "shortly" after launch,, yet we have to still see the added functionality and we are only a couple months away from its successor.
Does not give me confidence to purchase an item such as this.
IF they had given it android capability by summer
IF they had allowed things such as netflix
- They may have had 3 of these in my house instead of none - the original ipad in my opinion is still far superior than this unit, not because of hardware, but because of software support

IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE IT IN THE MOBILE WORLD, YOU GOTTA MAKE IT FOR EVERYONE TO USE, NOT JUST YOUR OWN BLACKBERRY CUSTOMER BASE - THIS WAS A PRODUCT DESTINED TO FAILURE DUE TO LACK OF UPDATES FROM RIM

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Monkeysweat[/nom]it's pretty sad that they make promises to add functionality to a product "shortly" after launch,, yet we have to still see the added functionality and we are only a couple months away from its successor.Does not give me confidence to purchase an item such as this.IF they had given it android capability by summerIF they had allowed things such as netflix- They may have had 3 of these in my house instead of none - the original ipad in my opinion is still far superior than this unit, not because of hardware, but because of software supportIF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE IT IN THE MOBILE WORLD, YOU GOTTA MAKE IT FOR EVERYONE TO USE, NOT JUST YOUR OWN BLACKBERRY CUSTOMER BASE - THIS WAS A PRODUCT DESTINED TO FAILURE DUE TO LACK OF UPDATES FROM RIM[/citation]

i always thought the way to make it was not screw your coustomers, dont make a mediocre product, and give us what we want.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i always thought the way to make it was not screw your coustomers, dont make a mediocre product, and give us what we want.[/citation]

This is exactly why Apple is so successful!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]username2011[/nom]email, calendar, and memo features, how the hell dont they have this already?[/citation]

RIM initially wanted the PlayBook to be a companion device for people who already owned Blackberry smartphones. The idea was that if you were in the airport, on a plane, traveling for business, etc., you could tether the two via Blackberry Bridge (similar to Bluetooth) and work on emails and documents and the like on a bigger screen.

However, the company soon realised that by targeting only Blackberry owners, it was cutting itself off from a fairly massive number of potential customers. A few months before it launched the PlayBook, RIM came out and said (paraphrasing here): "It will work great as a standalone device as well as a companion device. It will be great and everyone should buy it." Addressing concerns that users who didn't own a Blackberry wouldn't have native email, calendar, memo, other PIM functions (these being provided by the BlackBerry when the two are tethered), RIM said it would release an update to add these at a later date. So far it hasn't.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Let's see if they figure this out in the short term or if they continue to make bad decisions, relegating themselves to a footnote in the history of technology.

eatmeimadanish

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
Its bizarre when the hacking community can get a touchpad running android, but a technology company like RIM can't figure out how to get basic service running on their OWN DESIGNED product... The fact that they are still in business is the actual miracle.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I really want RIM to succeed. I like them as a company. The service outage really hurts the credibility though. The reason they have been successful so far is because of their reputation for reliability and security. Between the outage and their capitulating to foreign governments, they really are destroying their own user base.

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Best thing for RIM to do is to down size and completely serve the business community only. They wont be successful in the consumer market, going up against apple and android wont win them any market share.

dsolom3

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]RIM initially wanted the PlayBook to be a companion device for people who already owned Blackberry smartphones. The idea was that if you were in the airport, on a plane, traveling for business, etc., you could tether the two via Blackberry Bridge (similar to Bluetooth) and work on emails and documents and the like on a bigger screen. However, the company soon realised that by targeting only Blackberry owners, it was cutting itself off from a fairly massive number of potential customers. A few months before it launched the PlayBook, RIM came out and said (paraphrasing here): "It will work great as a standalone device as well as a companion device. It will be great and everyone should buy it." Addressing concerns that users who didn't own a Blackberry wouldn't have native email, calendar, memo, other PIM functions (these being provided by the BlackBerry when the two are tethered), RIM said it would release an update to add these at a later date. So far it hasn't.[/citation]

I remember when Apple launched its first Ipod, it could only be connected to a Mac toy-thingy. That cut Apple off 95% of potential market. Too bad RIM did not learn from Apple's mistake, they are paying for it with their stock price.

On the other hand, this could be a deliberate sabotage of the stock value, RIM has enough money to buy off quite a few shares especially at this price, or in order to increase % holding by some major shareholders.

G

playbook
stupidest name ever for a device...
sounds like a nsfw innuendo
u get what u get rim... u get what u get

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]This is exactly why Apple is so successful![/citation]

I wouldn't count RIM out just yet, people seem to forget that Apple went from near bankruptcy to the largest tech company over the last decade.

Companies in this market can change their horizons on a single successful product.

I don't really understand all the hating going on for RIM in these comments.

Yes blackberry's don't have all the fun games, but they were also never advertised as such, the point of a blackberry was to make people in the business world more connectable, yet maintain the company or individual's privacy and security... Quite frankly the blackberry is still the #1 device from a company perspective.

If security means anything to you (as a general user, it probably doesn't, which is fine) then the blackberry is still the optimum phone.

Multimedia wise it will never live up to the iPhone, it wasn't designed to... Web browsing is slower (actually anything via the 3g connection will be), not because the phone can't keep up hardware wise, but because EVERYTHING IS ENCRYPTED. You go onto Google, your browsing is encrypted, you watch a YouTube video, its encrypted, you write an email, encrypted... Overkill for a general user? Yes, definately, but that is RIM's market, that's what makes them unique, that's why businesses will continue to use them, and why they will survive.

I haven't heard a government complain to apple yet about how they couldn't eavesdrop on their population's data communications, that in itself is a massive indication of the success of RIM's security infrastructure and why people trust them (and why they will always have a specific clientele that will come back again, and again).

If the iPhone and android's key to success is fun & games, then Blackberry's key is security, and they have no competition in that area, not even close.

Nearly everyone in the media industry makes it sound as if RIM is going down in flames, but the actual sales numbers show that RIM has sold more units than last year. The increase just isn't as meteoric as Android or as sustained as iOS, that's all.

Lunatic Magnet

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
One of RIM's major flaws is that OS updates are limited by hardware. My barely-1-year-old torch can't run Blackberry OS 7 but the new torches can. As a result, any new features or innovations with the latest OS aren't available unless you buy a brand new device :-S

If RIM continues with this model they'll go the way of the Palm devices and dodo bird.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
RIM is already going under fast. I see maybe 1-2 a day leave. While iPhone and Android are absolutely destroying them.

They're just pain in the asses - to be honest. Tiny screen, overly complicated and slow menu's, lack of apps (at least compared to iOS & Android), and finally, they aren't needed in the business world anymore.

They also lack major media uses that other phones and devices use and have. Who watches Netflix on a Blackberry?

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]RIM is already going under fast. I see maybe 1-2 a day leave. While iPhone and Android are absolutely destroying them. They're just pain in the asses - to be honest. Tiny screen, overly complicated and slow menu's, lack of apps (at least compared to iOS & Android), and finally, they aren't needed in the business world anymore. They also lack major media uses that other phones and devices use and have. Who watches Netflix on a Blackberry?[/citation]

Actually, their keyboard is simply the best of any device out there. RIM has a lot going for them but they just aren't oriented towards a consumer market. You mean to tell me you watch netflix on an iphone? If you do, RIM should focus somewhere else.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
RIM showed stupidity when they didn't release the Playbook with basic PIM functions... which WHY can't a rather large multi-national company FAIL to make such basic tools? And now, about 6 months later - still not out?!

Many of us, including myself have been more product and I am just one person.

When the update comes out... it'll be "gee - took you long enough". And people wonder why iPad is still kicking everyone's butts.

G

RIM has a very OS with great potential but all the other companies are moving so much faster with hardware and software they seem to be moving in slow motion in light of the blazing advances of Apple and Android. Someone will light a fire some where in that company but it's going to be a matter of whether there is anything left to burn.

G

If I owned RIM stock, I'd sell it while it still has value. Look at Kodak, $1. Nokia's Windows phone, puts Blackberry's firmly in fourth place. Now with the major carriers, AT&T, Verizon & Sprint all offering iphones, I suspect that when upgrades are due, Blackberry users will switch more than ever, They hear their friends go on and on about the iphone, for good reason. The market for blackberrys will be the die hard loyalists, and employees who get them for free from their companies. I'd be curious to hear what the IT guys at companies think. My guess is that they are ready to switch, and being the nerds that they are, appreciate the strength of Apple & Microsoft much more than RIM.

G

RIM has strange culture.

In RIM if you figure out problem and introduce efficient approach, both manager and his buddy group member will proof their wrong approach works.
just like someone point out driving a car is right way, pushing a car is wrong way, then both manager and his buddy group member will hate you, and proof that 3 person can also move the car by pushing it.

This is one side of the strange culture, another side of RIM strange culture is like: because the manager and CEO are buddies as well , so people will say: yes, it is moving, pushing a car is really right way.

RIM is not system oriented company, just small company buddy culture, with a fat body. it is very strange company culture and strange company political environment, RIM’s management may be a typical instance in MBA course.

Status
Not open for further replies.