'Rise Of The Tomb Raider' Patch Adds Nvidia GameWorks VXAO, DX12 Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Wait, wait, isn't DX12 supposed to IMPROVE performance???
You don't see an improvement because this game was not built from the ground up for DX 12 and so it can not take advantage of it fully.

It's easy to explain why the drop of performance for this in your tests... Maybe.

Turbo sucks when you have even loaded cores. And maybe we're back to the old "HT sucks for games" era again!

Cheers!

D

Deleted member 217926

I just tested with DX11 and DX12 and I got about a 1 FPS increase with DX 12. 6700K and a 980 Ti at 1440p. Color me not impressed.

VXAO on the other hand looks amazing but gives me a 5 FPS hit. VXAO doesn't work with DX12.

Out of interest, can you underclock your 6700k to like 2ghz and repeat the test and maybe drop the resolution really low, to try create a cpu bottleneck. Would be interested to see, I would assume you will see a much bigger difference in a cpu bottle-necked scenario. Also, AMD gpu's seem to respond a lot better to dx12 would like to see that done too.

D

Deleted member 217926

If I get a chance this weekend maybe I'll try that.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Dx 12 is supposed to take load off CPU, so it will really only improve performance if the CPU is the bottleneck.
It also wasnt mentioned weather when they enabled dx12, they also turned on VXAO? was VXAO off in the dx11 test?

That's not entirely true. DX12 should alleviate CPU bottlenecks, but that is not all it does. It also incorporates things like asynchronous computing, and in general lower-level instructions. It's not just a CPU boost.

D

Deleted member 217926

No, I think it's more of a patch than a true Dx 12 game.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Its possible that Nvidia and AMD are going to release a DX12 game ready driver in next few days. The drivers out at the moment are optimised for DX11.

Nvidia and AMD haven't released DX12 'game ready' drivers. I wonder if this is the cause of odd performance and worst performance in a lot of cases. Both my PCs performed the same or worse in DX12. I wonder if the GPU teams actually knew this and Hitman's DX12 update was coming so soon.

1) DX12 quick optimization can enable better threading and a few things, however that is NOT the same thing as optimizing for DX12 from the beginning. Not even close.

2) Performance loss:
The article was confusing. I think the loss was because of the added GPU load due to VXAO (ambient occlusion) so it was NOT an apples to apples comparison.

3) Best for 8-core/i7 CPU's?

Actually, that's not quite true either. If there is minimal CPU bottleneck already then spreading the task out among multiple cores won't help much. Especially something like an i7-4790K which is unlikely to be a bottleneck.

And an FX-4300 may see the same performance as an FX-8xxx both before and after DX12 is applied. It just depends on how the CPU load is distributed.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Agree with all but point 2. I benchmarked 2 systems with VXAO turned off in all benchmarks. It was choppy and still took a performance hit at 1440p and made no real difference outside margin of error at 4K.

As I stated earlier though. It likely that both GPU teams will release driver updates very soon as current ones are aimed at DX11

G

You will never see any improvement with DX12 because it is the biggest business gimmick pulled by Microsoft con artist. It is the only thing they have as selling point for Windows 10 garbage. Can't wait for all those poor Steam souls who downgraded to Windows 10 because of DX12 to realize what mistake they made.

I would suggest you do a lot more research. This is simply not the case, however I can't explain all the merits of DX12 in a short reply.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
The game needs a few more DX12 updates first.
Also none of the current video cards have full DX12 hardware support so the next series of cards from AMD and Nvidia should help make DX12 more relevant.
Once there is at least 10 AAA games that have DX12 support I'll upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I just tested with DX11 and DX12 and I got about a 1 FPS increase with DX 12. 6700K and a 980 Ti at 1440p. Color me not impressed.

VXAO on the other hand looks amazing but gives me a 5 FPS hit. VXAO doesn't work with DX12.
You won`t see any difference since your GTX 980Ti does not have async shaders, no Nvidia GPU has seen any benefit from any DX12 benchmark till now because Nvidia decided to skip some few hardware tech.

Also, Gameworks is cancer for gaming industry ...most of the stuff won`t even work with lower Nvidia GPUs like 960 / 970, well.. they work but since the FPS hit is hard most people disable them anyway.

TressFX was an easy and open way to do hair, now we have Nvidia Hairworks that taxes the GPUs hard and blocks AMD from code optimisation ...

Well i`n not fussed too much on how a game looks in any case. How the game plays and how much playtime it has means more. I would be happy to play Games in DX 11 mode even if there was a Game made to Use DX 12 and coded from the ground up to get the best out of the new Api, and optimized drivers for both Nvidia and Ati cards were made available. When that is done we will see how much the New DX 12 API improves frame rates and graphical overheads.

gudomlig

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2013
SLI doesn't work at all in DX12...and in fact SLI performance is actually worse than single card in DX11. and this is a supposedly fully supported game...wtf nvidia? I also found worse performance on single card with DX12 - running i7 6700K with 2x GTX 970.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
DX12 shifts much of the work of managing the graphics pipeline to the game developers, it's possible that current DX11 drivers are just so well optimized that the game developers haven't been able to do much in such a short amount of time, and on top of an engine designed for DX11.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Meanwhile, can someone please explain to me why the last Tomb Raider had flawless 3D vision support where the new one doesn't have any? Why isn't NVidia being constantly harassed about this? Doesn't anyone care about the money wasted on 3d glasses and monitors?

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
From all that I've read, the biggest winner in the DX12 sweepstakes might be AMD with the hardware we have available now. If nothing else, the increased load spreading for draw calls should help AMD's drivers which under previous DX versions have always struggled versus Nvidia's very optimized drivers. Nvidia has apparently gotten very good at distributing certain DX11 and prior rendering workloads across multiple cores, whereas AMD tends to weigh more heavily on single core performance.

Especially if you have an AMD/AMD box---you have the single core deficient (vs Intel) performance of an AMD cpu and drivers from AMD that are less multithread optimized than Nvidia. DX12 would seemingly give the most measurable advantages to those setups---theoretically decreasing the emphasis on single core performance for both videocard driver and DirectX.

Status
Not open for further replies.