[SOLVED] RJ45 Crimping/Connector Kit

SeaJay68

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Hi all

I am looking to redo the rj45 connector on my ethernet cable. I was wondering if there was a connector pack on the market (i.e. RJ45, crimping tool, and protective hood) that you could recommend I purchase? Ideally, I am looking at something competitive price-wise (I know, I might regret it) because I only want to do the one connection.

Perhaps there is a good price competitive website where I could purchase the items separately?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
You will do far more than 1 connection if you have never done it before. It takes a lot of practice to get everything aligned and not have things slip when you crimp them.

In general it is going to be cheaper to just buy new patch cables. If this is in wall cable you are better off using keystone jacks. Those are much easier to install since you do 1 wire at a time and they sell versions that are toolless so you don't even need a punchdown tool.

A very cheap crimp tool can work just as well as expensive ones. The cheap ones you have to be more careful that you get things fully crimped without over crimping them. You can tell by looking at the end if the pins are level so it is mostly being careful. The more expensive tools...
You will do far more than 1 connection if you have never done it before. It takes a lot of practice to get everything aligned and not have things slip when you crimp them.

In general it is going to be cheaper to just buy new patch cables. If this is in wall cable you are better off using keystone jacks. Those are much easier to install since you do 1 wire at a time and they sell versions that are toolless so you don't even need a punchdown tool.

A very cheap crimp tool can work just as well as expensive ones. The cheap ones you have to be more careful that you get things fully crimped without over crimping them. You can tell by looking at the end if the pins are level so it is mostly being careful. The more expensive tools are designed for people who use them all day and cause less stress to your hands. They also have replaceable crimp jaws and harder metals. I guess you can wear them out when you use them as a professional.

In some ways with the small amount you are going to buy I would look at local stores. Many home improvement store sell this type of stuff. If you buy online the minimum shipping costs tend to increase the price of this stuff a lot. Buying local also allows you to look at the quality of the stuff. A lot of stuff sold on places like amazon junk.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Solution

SeaJay68

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
Thanks for the reply Bill. Many years ago I did a Cisco networking course, so I'm not completely new to this (we did a bit of crimping), so I am hoping that will help me. I could just buy a cable but it's an upstairs-downstairs set-up involving having to feed the cable through two walls and a ceiling (and one wall can be troublesome because it's such a tight fit).

I've been scouting around a bit and I have this shopping list off amazon so I was hoping someone with more experience than myself could run their eye over it and perhaps approve it's ok or if not, recommend something different.

sRjdWgT.jpeg

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

I have no idea it tends to be pure luck with cheaper stuff. They all likely work but until you can actually touch the tools you can't tell how good the quality is.

I still would look at keystone jack if you are putting this in a wall. These tend to be much simpler to get correct the first time, especially if you do not have a lot of extra wire to work with. They also give you a much neater looking install.

I see most times you need bigger holes to get the wire though so you cover it with a wall plate that has a keystone in it.

It all depends on the costs mostly. A keystone wall plate and a short commercial patch cable to go from the wall to the pc likely will be cheaper than the tools to put on a single rj45.

Reactions: SeaJay68
Cheap RJ45 crimp tools suck. I've owned 3 of them and they don't always crimp into the wire properly. I've had bad cables because of this.

I now own this Klein passthrough crimp tool. It's awesome and reliable. Most importantly with passthrough crimp ends, it does a perfect job of trimming the wire flush with the plug. It's perfectly smooth, unlike when I was using a razor blade to trim the wire before. You'll need to adjust the stripper blade depending on what wire you're using. All LAN cables are different depending on the guage of wiring and if it has shielding and how thick the insulation is etc...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VDV226-110-Pass-Thru-Modular-Crimper-Yellow/dp/B076MGPQZQ

I also buy these passthrough crimp ends for CAT6 23awg cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITBEBE-Plated-Pieces-Through-Connector/dp/B07G2R96KQ

It's important to match the connector to the guage of the wire you're using.

BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE!

Last edited:

SeaJay68

Commendable
Jul 30, 2021
I hear you. I mean, if I can get all this done for under £30, even if all the items bought, just break and can never be used again, I wouldn't mind. This is definitely not something I do regularly. In fact, it's the first time attempting it in over twenty years.