RMA'd Corsair HX850 PSU, they offer me a RM850, should I take it?

Miau Frito

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I had a functional Corsair HX850 power supply for a year which broke down, so I had to RMA it. A week latter I receive a ticket comment from Corsair saying that the HX series is obsolete/discontinued and that "we are able to offer you alternate replacement of similar functionality and specification". They are offering me an RM850 in return.
Performance tests and every forum I've consulted seem to indicate that the HX beats the RM in nearly every category, aren't they legally obliged to return me a product of equal or superior quality? If so, how can I ask them for one without looking like an a-hole?

Solution
that's true but it don't hurt to try and see where it goes -- but I do see one thing from this is it will reflect on them the next time I look to buy [ not saying the rest are better ] but it looks like I now know where I will stand with corsair and there products down the road [opinion]

Miau Frito

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

This is what they said:

"We have received your RMA# 6507678 back, which unfortunately has an obsolete/discontinued product which is no longer available for replacement. As per the Corsair Warranty, we are able to offer you alternate replacement of similar functionality and specification. Please confirm at your earliest convenience the following items:

Returned Product: CP-9020032-EU
Returned Qty: 1 SET
Potential/Alternate Replacement: CP-9020056-EU ( RM 850)

Please kindly let us know if you have any concern. Thank you. "

Do you think I should reply with something like this:

"From the reviews and performance tests I've seen, the replacement you've suggested appears to be inferior to the HX in nearly every category. I'm sorry but I'm not willing to accept a unit built with cheaper internals in exchange for extra modularity and sleeker cables"

Or does that sound too harsh?

vagrancyx

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
No they are not legally obligated to return you the same product, corsair like every other company pretty much has a standard RMA process where you get a product of equal or greater value in return. If the PSU is no longer produced then there isn't much they can do. You could perhaps argue to receive a higher model and pay the difference but I don't think they'll do that.

I'd change the second half of it. Something more like this:

"From the reviews and performance tests I've seen, the replacement you've suggested appears to be inferior to the HX in nearly every category. I would prefer a unit built to the same high standards as the HX series, rather than the budget-oriented RM series."

that may work ,but seeing they got them for sale at there site right now today and telling him there not available tells me they just want to get rid of him on the cheap I am surprised that its not a reman unit that they offered to start with

send the the statement you last posted and the link to there site with them for sale and ask what the deal here then??

vagrancyx

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
oh, didn't notice they actually still sold them. If that is the case, you don't get a new unit back with an RMA so that's probably why they said it was discontinued meaning they have no secondary refurbished units available. You can certainly plead your case or protest but at the end of the day, they have zero legal obligation to give you the same product for a replacement based on their RMA policy (which you agree to basically when you purchase or register the product.

Miau Frito

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

That's my point, how can they offer me an inferior product?

Miau Frito

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

How about this:
"From the reviews and performance tests I've seen, the replacement you've suggested appears to be inferior to the HX in nearly every category. I would prefer a unit built to the same high standards as the HX series, rather than the budget-oriented RM series.
Also, I have discovered that the HX850 is still available to order in your website at
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hx-series-hx850-power-supply-850-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-modular-psu
Wasn't it obsolete/discontinued?"

Or is that last part unnecessary?

Miau Frito

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

So like this:
"From the reviews and performance tests I've seen, the replacement you've suggested appears to be inferior to the HX in nearly every category. I would prefer a unit built to the same high standards as the HX series, rather than the budget-oriented RM series.
Also, I have discovered that the HX850 is still available to order in your website at
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hx-series-hx850-power-supply-850-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-modular-psu
Wasn't it obsolete/discontinued?
Even more, aren't you legally obligated to provide me with a replacement product of equal or higher value than the one I returned?"

vagrancyx

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know why you think you're going to scare them using the word legally obligated. They are not. It's a warranty you agree to their warranty terms upon buying/registering the product. You can say it all day and night but they've heard it before. As blackbird said its a 2nd version you'll probably be getting its not like they keep cranking out the same crap after known issues problems. If they don't use tier 1/2 caps ..whatever I'm sure the PSU will be fine.

that's true but it don't hurt to try and see where it goes -- but I do see one thing from this is it will reflect on them the next time I look to buy [ not saying the rest are better ] but it looks like I now know where I will stand with corsair and there products down the road [opinion]

Solution

Miau Frito

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

My issue is that everything I've read says that it's an inferior quality product and some even advised against purchasing it if you wanted to do a good overclock and even recommended the HX for that same purpose