Roccat Sova: Exclusive Photos, Drawings and Renders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

O_Pgamer96

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
This is dumb. If you want to game on the couch, use a controller. That way you can change your sitting positions as you please. But with this junk on your lap you have to sit upright all the time, which is not different than using table and chair.

No it's not dumb. Mouse is easily the most accurate controller there is - and many pc games require more buttons than what controllers have. I've been using a setup like this over 15 years...

I'm aware of the advantage of mouse and keyboard over the controller. But you are obviously missing the point here. This product boasts "comfort form sitting on the couch" (as you can see from the first picture - the blue couch), but it can't deliver that, because you still have to sit in the same posture as in table & chair setup. I didn't say that controller is superior to mouse & keyboard in terms of precision (I'm a PC gamer who uses mechanical keyboard and gaming-grade laser mouse, so I know this very well). All I'm saying is that if you aim for comfort, which is the key message here, controller is a better choice.
just because youre sitting on a couch does not mean you havr to be slouched across the whole thing. There are plenty of comfortable positions to sit in with such a device. As for the implications, the steam box paired with this would make a great. Combination for many avid gamers and im sure it would gdt great reception by people who dont follow gaming stereotypes.

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I own the couch from 2011 with my desktop and from 2007 with my laptop and for sure not playing on a shitty latency TV full of TV antialiasing, HDMI colors and artifacts!
3 nodes VESA arm, 24" gamer monitor (low latency TN of course), Ikea cuscion for laptop, G19 and SteelSeries QCK+ for my G9x.

I play Counter-strike, other FPS, beat em up, scrolling shooters, indie games, competitive online, coop offline and online, MMORPGs, adventures, TPS, RTS, I have often 4 players split screen games, I have many 360 controllers. There is no ONE way to play a game but there is ONE PROPER way to play a game and since I play more different games I have more different ways to play them. It doesn't count if you are seated or not, if you are bent on the table. An hardcore beat em up gamer could tell you you are an idiot if you don't stand up and use a 8 way arcade stick and you will eat that shit.

You just don't have enough imagination and gaming prowess maybe. Or you just can't understand.

Anyway, this Roccat is ugly and meaningless, doesn't feature a full keyboard. You just need a soft cuscion for the legs with a hard board to place the keyboard and mouse. I play CS on a soft cuscion with the SteelSeries QCK+ on it and its not flat (finger grip high senser gamer).

Still you can have both couch and good gaming platform with a 2007 IKEA cuscion

http://larsw.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/ikea-brada.jpg

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
This is dumb. If you want to game on the couch, use a controller. That way you can change your sitting positions as you please. But with this junk on your lap you have to sit upright all the time, which is not different than using table and chair.

No it's not dumb. Mouse is easily the most accurate controller there is - and many pc games require more buttons than what controllers have. I've been using a setup like this over 15 years...

I'm aware of the advantage of mouse and keyboard over the controller. But you are obviously missing the point here. This product boasts "comfort form sitting on the couch" (as you can see from the first picture - the blue couch), but it can't deliver that, because you still have to sit in the same posture as in table & chair setup. I didn't say that controller is superior to mouse & keyboard in terms of precision (I'm a PC gamer who uses mechanical keyboard and gaming-grade laser mouse, so I know this very well). All I'm saying is that if you aim for comfort, which is the key message here, controller is a better choice.
It's a better choice depending on the game you play. I play on the couch since 2007 with my laptop, and from 2011 with my desktop. The screen comes off the column with a 3 nodes arm to my face, the couch is for 2, but 3 adults fits comfortably. I have people over playing together up to 4 with splitscreen. I play all kinds of games and for each of them I chose the keyb+mouse combo or the 360 controller. Whatever fits the best. If you are concerned about competitive players, well, I was double AK in CS befor moving to Insurgency and my mouse doesn't sit on a flat surface, it's on a big cuscion with a SteelSeries QCK+ on it :D

greevar

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Materials required:

1. Laminated particle board shelving of desired dimensions (e.g. 3' by 18")

2. Small form factor wireless keyboard

3. Wireless mouse

4. Adhesive Velcro pads

You could build this yourself with very little effort and for less money than Roccat would probably charge.

SilkyZ

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
@greevar

I would replace the mouse with a trackball so when I move it won't be dingle-dangling all over the place.

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
It looks like a good idea for computing from a chair or couch. I just wonder what happens if you're a fat person and you let your knees spread apart. I don't want to have to hold my knees close together the whole time. I have a little bed-table thing with folding legs that I can probably use just as effectively, especially if I Velcro my favorite wireless keyboard down to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.