News Rocket Lake Flaunts Up To 18% Higher Single-Core Performance Than Core i9-10900K

GoatGuy

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
Its kind of funny. +17% or +21% might be a really great thing ... except if you are actually CPU bound, in which case, assuming some reasonable scaling, then you're only 15% to 19% less impacted by being CPU bound.

I would rather think that for a given system -- if upgrading -- that leaving a competent late-generation CPU in place and doubling or quadrupling the memory, the SSD and possibly the GPU card ... would yield better results. For maybe similar money.

$ / improvement... that's the gig.

gfg

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2005
UserBenchmarkOcta-core Rocket LakeCore i9-10900KCore i7-10700K
1-Core179152148

Core i9-10700K = 5.1 Ghz = 148 =>> 1 Ghz = 148 / 5.1= 29.02
Rocket Lake = 4.2 Ghz = 179 =>> 1 Ghz = 179 / 4.2= 42.62

1 Ghz Rocket Lake vs 1 Ghz 10700K = 42.62 / 29.02 = 147% = +47% IPC ?¿?¿??¿? I don't think so.

FAKE!!

InvalidError

Titan
I would rather think that for a given system -- if upgrading -- that leaving a competent late-generation CPU in place and doubling or quadrupling the memory, the SSD and possibly the GPU card ... would yield better results. For maybe similar money.
I would rather think that most people aren't bothering to upgrade at all for 20% gains and skip a few generations instead - in the 90s where CPUs were getting much faster much quicker, most people upgraded only every 3-4 years, usually to something that was both more than twice as fast and cheaper.

Enthusiasts' willingness to throw absurd amounts of money at tiny incremental upgrades is nuts.

jthill

Reputable
Apr 14, 2020
So, they're announcing they plan to show up months late and cores short, but hey, they'll at least be hanging in there on IPC. What, do they want a participation prize?

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Right now it's best to upgrade your gpu (if you can find one...) rather than upgrade other parts of your system. Unless you have a 6 year old pc to start with.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
comet lake winner + 20 lanes pcie4 + avx512 + dlboost + xe gpu + 18% ipc core update + DDR4 memory speed updates.

Those updates should result in performance updates in a wide range of applications. Just add one of the new pcie4 m.2 SSD drives, a pcie4 graphics card and some high speed memory.

Reactions: shady28

Makaveli

Splendid
comet lake winner + 20 lanes pcie4 + avx512 + dlboost + xe gpu + 18% ipc core update + DDR4 memory speed updates.

Those updates should result in performance updates in a wide range of applications. Just add one of the new pcie4 m.2 SSD drives, a pcie4 graphics card and some high speed memory.

The DDR4 memory speed update you are talking about is intel going from DDR4 2933 to 3200. So don't expect much there the rest of the improvements should be nice.

Last edited:

D1v1n3D

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
Uhh 5600x is faster than 10900k in single core not even overclocked. now that is the slowest of the new 5000 series. so 5950x is even faster. but wait. by the time this crap 8 core 14nm++++++++++++++++++ comes to the market Ryzen 6000 series will be out but I am willing to bet AMD will release an XT variant in about 6 to 7 months from when their yields are better for the 5600xt 5800xt and 5900xt pushing them all to or close to 4.9ghz single core boost speeds. Intel at this point is irrelevant in all aspects they are only going to have an 8 core CPU in 2021 if they are lucky, while AMD is still at 16 core that is in fact faster and will get faster from firmware and driver updates and software optimizations for the new Zen 3 cores. I have a 3800x that already boosts itself to 4.65ghz in Ryzen master before better to best yields of the XT. AMD is faster uses less power and has more cores and more threads. so it is possible a 5950x could boost past 4.9ghz hitting that make believe magical number of 5ghz in one or two cores leaks already indicate this happening but lets just wait and see after November 5th. Now if Intel does come out with something better GOOD it will make AMD step up even more cuz Dr. Lisa Su loves to compete PERIOD..

Grindayzier

Honorable
Apr 10, 2014
It keeps the hopes of intel fan boys alive. It remains yet to be seen if Rocket lake will be faster than Zen 3. And they won't have an answer for the 12 and 16 core Zen 3 parts.
I can't belive whats happening Intel new CPU dead on arrival what intel is doing over those years, they fall into comfort zone. AMD on the other side was struggling to keep running now they will dominate the CPU market for the coming 3-5 years at lest. Bye bye Intel...

D

Deleted member 1560910

Its going to be interesting to see These chips vs 5000 series for AMD in games. It seem AMD is going to be the best platform for AMD GPU with there SAM memory. Intel only having a 8 core 16 thread chip people are going to clown them but the honestly this isn't the Chipset that has the best productivity by intel. Intel to date have the best Gaming CPU for all games available past and present. The real test is AMD vs Intel/Nvidia /AMD. I cant wait for that.

Specter0420

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
"If the recent UserBenchmark results (via Tum_Apisak) are accurate, we might be looking at improvements up to 21%."

----> "If" and "UserBenchmark results" (aka intel) in the same sentence.... Yikes
There is nothing wrong with UserBenchmark as far as comparing scores goes. AMD fanboys just don't like how the "overall ranking" is calculated, where it says CPU Y is ranked 8th while CPU X is ranked 3rd. Just because it doesn't weigh extra useless cores as highly as you'd like in the gaming RANKING doesn't mean it detects intel and lies about that SCORE.
Even if it did, we are comparing Intel to Intel here...

Reactions: shady28

InvalidError

Titan
Maybe it will be out in time for Zen 4. lol
Rocket Lake is on 14nm and I think we know by now that Intel is very good at making stuff on 14nm, possibly better than AMD/TSMC are at doing 7nm stuff. There isn't much reason to doubt Rocket Lake will come out on schedule and in decent quantities.

Between AMD's 14+ months between Zen launches (it has been 16 months since Zen 2's) and how late in 2020 we already are, I doubt we'll even get Zen 4's pre-launch event in 2021.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
AMD : "Our new chip has a 19% increase over last gen"

Toms readers : "OMFG SO AMAZING!! Intel better watch out AMD innovation is the greatest!"

Intel : "Our new chip has a 19% increase over last gen"

Toms readers : "Pfft stupid Intel only gets 19% increase?!? That's it?!"

AMD fanbots are the new Trumpers.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
AMD fanbots are the new Trumpers.
To be fair, it did take Intel almost six years and a back-port to 14nm to get that 19% due to perpetual delays and hiccups on 10nm to get there which is rightfully worthy of ridicule. To make things worse, 7nm got delayed by six months too, so 10nm may not be the end of Intel's years-long process delays either and now Intel is seriously looking into outsourcing more production to bridge gaps.