[SOLVED] ROG STRIX B450-F compatibility with Gen 3 Processor

Apr 18, 2020
Hey guys, I recently built my first PC and had a great time doing it! I'm having an issue that I hope someone can help me with. I realized after I put my PC together and booted it up... that I have a ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING motherboard which "out of the box" isn't compatible with my AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor or gen 3 processor. It is only compatible with gen 1 and 2. I read some forums that said I may be able to update my BIOS which will allow me to continue to use the motherboard/processor together. I'm having an issue with updating BIOS drivers from Asus.com for the version 3003. When I download the file, it puts it into a CAP.file which only appears as a picture which reads "ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING-ASUS-3003.CAP It looks like we don't support this file format." I may have to install this file onto a USB and do a BIOS flashback. Can anyone confirm this? or am I SOL. My PC is running, but it will randomly close programs or even restart out of the blue. If anyone can provide some guidance before I return the motherboard and upgrade to one compatible with Gen 3.

Solution
Bios file isn't a driver you install in Windows. It is the motherboard's firmware which is put on a usb stick and flashed in the bios using Ezflash. Bios updates can address compatility issues relating to hardware but would troubleshoot other components first and then see.

Your system instability could be ram related. Troubleshoot them. Look through here and test ram with memtest.

Ignore sata raid drivers, that's meant for combining storage drives.

Lan driver might already be installed. Check device manager for network adapter. It'll be listed here if it's been installed.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like you can you boot to Windows? If so, this is most likely not a bios issue if you're able to. If a motherboard's bios wasn't compatible, you'd get no display. Fyi, only Msi supports flash back.

List complete PC specs please including psu and ram slots used.

Have you done a full fresh Windows reinstall from usb? If you haven't and using an old install, that can cause all sorts of problems.

Apr 18, 2020
Processor: AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-core Processor 3.60 GHz Socket AM4
Motherboard: ASUS - ROG Strix B450-F Gaming (Socket AM4) USB 3.1 Gen 2 AMD Motherboard with LED
GPU: MSI - GAMING X NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card
RAM: PNY - Anarchy-X 16GB (2pk 8 gb) 3.2 GHz DDR memory
SSD :San Disk - Ultra 1.024 TB Internal SATA SSD
HDD drive: WD - Mainstream 2TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive
PSU: Thermaltake - SMART 700W ATX 80 Plus Power Supply
Tower: Corsair - ICUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid-Tower Smart Case

I did the install of Windows 10 Pro 64b from a friends USB.

Apr 18, 2020
The Ram Memory Frequency is set to AUTO which is at 2400 MHz......
Yes Dimm slots are the 2nd and 4th at DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2

Here is what happened with each driver I attemped to install.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

BIOS - Downloaded but was a CAP.file... this was leading back to my first question wondering if this is the issue.
AUDIO - Download and installed.
LAN - Clicked download Asussetup.exe and nothing happens. I do not have ethernet currently hooked up. Using wi-fi from wifi usb adapter. Long story...comcast can't get out until June to fix the wiring in my apt.
Utilities- Download and installed.
Chipset- Download and installed.
SATA- Download and unable to install due to "system configuration is not compatible for RAID drivers or applications installed."
Qualified Vender List - Another thing I just noticed. The RAM I got PNY -Anarchy-X 16GB Model:MD16GK2D4320016AXR is not listed on the qualified vender list.

So its running at 2400 MHz and BIOS, LAN and LAN drivers are from my knowledge not installed or could not be, and the RAM is not on the "qualified vender list. What would you recommend?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Bios file isn't a driver you install in Windows. It is the motherboard's firmware which is put on a usb stick and flashed in the bios using Ezflash. Bios updates can address compatility issues relating to hardware but would troubleshoot other components first and then see.

Your system instability could be ram related. Troubleshoot them. Look through here and test ram with memtest.

Ignore sata raid drivers, that's meant for combining storage drives.

Lan driver might already be installed. Check device manager for network adapter. It'll be listed here if it's been installed.

Solution
Apr 18, 2020
Disregard. I bought the same RAM PNY - Anarchy-X 16GB (2pk 8 gb) 3.2 GHz DDR memory and I still had the same issues. Computer restarts every so often. So I switched out the PSU yesterday. I've only had one restart today but the problem still continues.

Apr 18, 2020
Yes that is all that is currently available at Best Buy for 2x8GB 3200 Mhz. I do have an order for CORSAIR 2x8 GB 3200 Mhz.

I have factory reset BIOS, have not reinstalled Windows due to not having the original USB drive it was on. I could try that.