Question ROG Strix B450-F doesn't detect a NVMe SSD in M.2_2 slot

Apr 26, 2023
I've seen many posts about it, without finding a solution.

ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
AMD Ryzen 7
RTX 3070
Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe with Win10 in M.2_1

I bought another exactly same Kingston for storage and put it in M.2_2. Not seeing it in BIOS or Windows.

Please help!

Ralston18

Titan
This motherboard?

ROG Strix B450 Manual

[Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Double check both the supported components and the current configuration.

Reference:

Pages ix (Storage), 1-11, and 1-14.

Overall though, I recommend that you start from the beginning of the User Manual and check everything accordingly.

Hopefully just some error of omission or commission.

ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
AMD Ryzen 7
RTX 3070

I bought another exactly same Kingston for storage and put it in M.2_2. Not seeing it in BIOS or Windows.

Please help!
Proper bios?
What happens if you swap slots with the disk?

Apr 26, 2023
This motherboard?

ROG Strix B450 Manual

[Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Double check both the supported components and the current configuration.

Reference:

Pages ix (Storage), 1-11, and 1-14.

Overall though, I recommend that you start from the beginning of the User Manual and check everything accordingly.

Hopefully just some error of omission or commission.

Yes, components should be supported
2280 and PCIE 3.0 x4

This is the motherboard: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2259816/Asus-Rog-Strix-B450-F-Gaming.html?page=16#manual

ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
AMD Ryzen 7
RTX 3070

Please help!
The slot may simply be turned off. If you look at page 22 of the manual you listed (page 1-8 of the original asus manual), there is a relationship between pcie slots and the m.2_2 slot. The function of the m.2_2 slot is turned off when the pciex 16_1 slot is in certain modes e.g. 16x, and the m.2_2 slot only functions when 16_1 is set to 8x and 16_2 is set to 4x. These settings would have to be entered in your bios in order to turn m.2_2 on. Or if you wish to continue using 16_1 in the 16x mode, you would have to forget about using m.2_2.

Ralston18

Titan
I tend to be leery of third party "published/online" manuals versus manuals found on the manufacturer's website. There are bogus websites that appear when searching for product manuals. And some websites are not up-to-date with respect to the documentation presented.

= == =

Page ix (Storage) should be looked at.

Also, I noted a reference on Page 3-15:

"SATA6G_1(Gray) - SATA6G_6(Gray)
This item allows you to enable or disable the selected SATA port.
Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled"

Page 3-16 Link mode(s)

Some things you can check.

Apr 26, 2023
The slot may simply be turned off. If you look at page 22 of the manual you listed (page 1-8 of the original asus manual), there is a relationship between pcie slots and the m.2_2 slot. The function of the m.2_2 slot is turned off when the pciex 16_1 slot is in certain modes e.g. 16x, and the m.2_2 slot only functions when 16_1 is set to 8x and 16_2 is set to 4x. These settings would have to be entered in your bios in order to turn m.2_2 on. Or if you wish to continue using 16_1 in the 16x mode, you would have to forget about using m.2_2.
Last time I tried to fix this I remember switching from x16 to x8, it still didn't help, though I might have missed something.
And now I can't find that setting. Not sure if I can ember thumnails here, so here's a link for my BIOS:

Apr 26, 2023
I tend to be leery of third party "published/online" manuals versus manuals found on the manufacturer's website. There are bogus websites that appear when searching for product manuals. And some websites are not up-to-date with respect to the documentation presented.

= == =

Page ix (Storage) should be looked at.

Also, I noted a reference on Page 3-15:

"SATA6G_1(Gray) - SATA6G_6(Gray)
This item allows you to enable or disable the selected SATA port.
Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled"

Page 3-16 Link mode(s)

Some things you can check.
All the SATA are disabled, as I am not using them

The bios menu item you need may be further down the page. As the chart in the manual indicates the 16_1 slot has to be set to 8x and the 16_2 slot has to be set to 4x and both m2 slots are also set to 4x. There should be a bios item with those options. Look for something like CPU PCIE CONFIGURATION MODE and has an option that includes the m2_2 port.

Last edited: