[SOLVED] Rog Strix X570-E Gaming: Bios Flashback not working

Nov 22, 2020
Hi there

I just got all components for my new pc. Unfortunately, it doesnt boot, so i wanted to update Bios through the Bios Flashback function (https://www.asus.com/de/support/FAQ/1038568/). However, it does not seem to work. After pressing the button for 3 sec, the LED initially blinks 3x and then it turns into solid green light. According to the manual, this indicates a problem. However, even though i read through a lot of threads and advices, i do not find any solution to make it work. Hopefully anyone can help me?

The following I already tried / checked:
  • The USB-stick is formated with FAT32 (did it by fast format through disk management and also tried it with diskpart)
  • The file is correctly named: SX570EG.CAP (yes, file extensions are activated, its not named "SX570EG.CAP.CAP")
  • Edit: I unpacked the zip with the bios directly onto the USB-stick and renamed it on the stick itself (not renamed it on the laptop and then copy it to the stick)
  • Tried it with 2 different USB-sticks (1x 28GB, 1x 128MB)
  • Tried the Bios versions 3603 and 3604
  • Removed the CPU
Any help is welcome! Thanks a lot!

My system:
- MB: Asus Rog Strix x570-E Gaming
-CPU: Ryzen 5900X
-RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo (2x 16GB, DDR4-3600)
-GPU: Geforce 1080 (still waiting for my 6800xt to arrive)
-SSD: 2x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
-PU: Corsair RM850
-Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73

Last edited:
Solution
Hi there

I just got all components for my new pc. Unfortunately, it doesnt boot, so i wanted to update Bios through the Bios Flashback function (https://www.asus.com/de/support/FAQ/1038568/). However, it does not seem to work. After pressing the button for 3 sec, the LED initially blinks 3x and then it turns into solid green light. According to the manual, this indicates a problem. However, even though i read through a lot of threads and advices, i do not find any solution to make it work. Hopefully anyone can help me?

• The USB-stick is formated with FAT32 (did it by fast format through disk management and also tried it with diskpart)
  • The file is correctly named: SX570EG.CAP...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there

• The file is correctly named: SX570EG.CAP (yes, file extensions are activated, its not named "SX570EG.CAP.CAP")
  • Tried it with 2 different USB-sticks (1x 28GB, 1x 128MB)
  • Tried the Bios versions 3603 and 3604
  • Removed the CPU
Any help is welcome! Thanks a lot!

My system:
- MB: Asus Rog Strix x570-E Gaming
-CPU: Ryzen 5900X
-RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo (2x 16GB, DDR4-3600)
-GPU: Geforce 1080 (still waiting for my 6800xt to arrive)
-SSD: 2x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
-PU: Corsair RM850
-Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73
The BIOS requirement for a 5900X CPU is version 2606. That was released in Aug 2020. It is UNLIKELY that you have an incompatible BIOS, unless you bought your motherboard from a small shop that had it sitting on a shelf for 10 months. I think you are on the wrong path.

Solution
Nov 22, 2020
The BIOS requirement for a 5900X CPU is version 2606. That was released in Aug 2020. It is UNLIKELY that you have an incompatible BIOS, unless you bought your motherboard from a small shop that had it sitting on a shelf for 10 months. I think you are on the wrong path.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, i bought the MB on 27.11.2020 and was waiting for ages for the cpu... just noticed my system speaker is not working anymore, thats why i dont hear any beeps... get a new one tomorrow and continue testing...

Edit: On the package of the mainboard there is only a "Ryzen 3000 desktop ready" sticker, so I guess I got an old model with an older Bios version.

still wondering why Bios Flashback is not working or how i could update Bios else...?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020
So, to finish this thread, final update for all who came here by search results:

- I didnt manage to get the Bios Flashback to work. However, after a lot of trying i managed to get into Bios and update Bios directly from there with the built in tool "Asus EZ Flash 3"

- After updating the bios i finally managed to get my pc running. However, i dont think the CPU was the problem but the RAM. Also my old GPU (GTX 1080) made problems, couldnt get it to work in the first PCE-Slot and had to install it in the second one.