[SOLVED] ROG Strix X570-E Red CPU Light Q-Code 04

Mar 1, 2022
Hey everyone.
A few months back my motherboard decided to stop working (ROG Crosshair VI Hero). After some strenuous testing I determined it was the MB that was the issue.
I bought a ROG Strix X570-E Wifi II as a replacement as it was the only MB that boasted compatibility with my CPU (Ryzen 7 1800x), and the CPU had been doing just fine so I thought I'd upgrade later.
I searched extensively through forums to make sure it was compatible. The website states it's compatible from the first BIOS version, and being a newer MB it only has 2 BIOS versions available, both of which I've tried.
So, after dealing with a dead PC for 6 months, I put my rig together completely, only to discover it won't boot through POST. It arrives at the CPU phase, and the CPU light stays on at Q-Code 04, which tells me nothing. Obviously I can't get through to the BIOS to see what's up.
My previous PC would boot up and shut down immediately, but I could hit the Start button on the MB a few times to get it to boot to Windows eventually, so that tells me the CPU is still alive.
The only thing I can think of is that my RAM isn't compatible with the CPU on this particular MB, being that they added support for 1st gen Ryzen as an afterthought.
When I first got my PC about 7 years ago, the CPU and RAM were both just released, and they didn't exactly play well together when assembled until an update to the MB, that made them more stable.
The RAM is default 3200 but the 1800x prefers RAM at 2666 or lower. I was able to use the built-in BIOS settings on my old PC to get the clock speed up (no manual OCing, just a drop-down setting), but it would occasionally reset the settings back, so I just learned to live with it at a lower speed (really no noticible difference).
Is there any other avenues I can take to try to at the very least get to BIOS? What do you think the issue is?
Specs below:

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E WIFI II (Previously ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VI)
Ryzen 7 1800x
4 x G.Skill TridentZ 8GB RAM
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Old PSU: Antec 900W
New PSU: Seasonic GX-1000
H100i Closed loop CPU cooler
Samsung 1TB SSD
Seagate 3TB HDD

Here's my previous post trying to determine what was wrong with my original PC:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...herboards-start-button.3752310/#post-22637183

Thank you in advance. I just want my PC back!

Solution
FYI regarding Memtest86

If your Bios is UEFI configured to RUN the USB device then you don't need to access Bios. Create the USB ISO download image on another pc , then insert the USB into an appropriate port and fire up the system with your USB. Memtest does not need an operating system and is standalone. Run the test for 4 passes and if any errors then your RAM is a Fail. RMA.
Test each module individually and all modules together.

FYI regarding your RAM

Quote "The RAM came as 2 packs of 2x8GB modules." End Quote

Your mixing RAM and that is Not a good idea. This can cause a mismatch due to slight variations in Latency and that's why DIMMS are binned after manufacture to matched kits. Ryzen is picky with RAM.
If you want 32GB then...
Hi SethSlax (y)

The only thing I can think of is your RAM as you eluded to.
Qcode 04 is an initialization issue (early in the Post cycle phase) and RAM has been known to throw up this code.

Have you eliminated the possibility of RAM errors using Memtest86.?

Does your RAM kit (4 x G.Skill TridentZ 8GB RAM) consist of (4x2GB) modules or (4x8GB) for 32GB and did the DIMMMs come as a single kit.?
Please list the P/N or SKU of your RAM.?

The only reference I could find and Last Bios to work with X570 and 1800x was 1302 according to this post at reddit.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/id93uo/i_got_my_ryzen_1800x_working_on_an_x570_asus/

In looking at your MB specs your latest Bios is 4204 for Improved system performance and stability and an update to AGESA.

It is also advised you should update your chipset at the same time you update Bios.
Did you use Flashback on the rear IO Panel to update.?

Mar 1, 2022
Hi SethSlax (y)

The only thing I can think of is your RAM as you eluded to.
Qcode 04 is an initialization issue (early in the Post cycle phase) and RAM has been known to throw up this code.

Have you eliminated the possibility of RAM errors using Memtest86.?

Does your RAM kit (4 x G.Skill TridentZ 8GB RAM) consist of (4x2GB) modules or (4x8GB) for 32GB and did the DIMMMs come as a single kit.?
Please list the P/N or SKU of your RAM.?

The only reference I could find and Last Bios to work with X570 and 1800x was 1302 according to this post at reddit.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/id93uo/i_got_my_ryzen_1800x_working_on_an_x570_asus/

In looking at your MB specs your latest Bios is 4204 for Improved system performance and stability and an update to AGESA.

It is also advised you should update your chipset at the same time you update Bios.
Did you use Flashback on the rear IO Panel to update.?

Unfortunately I have no way of running Memtest as I can't even get into the BIOS, and my old PC is dead.
The RAM came as 2 packs of 2x8GB modules.
The SKU is: F4-3200C14D-16GTZR DDR4-3200 CL14-14-14-34 1.35v

The Strix X570-E Wifi and Wifi II versions actually have two seperate BIOS (got stuck on this for hours trying to figure out why a brand new MB wouldn't take a BIOS update). The versions available for the Wifi II are 0309 and 4204, and both are supposed to be compatible with the 1800x. They're probably identical, but the renamer changes the names completely.

I updated the BIOS with the rear flashback button.
As for the chipsets, I don't think I can do that without booting into the OS, right?

Thank you for the swift response!

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-wifi-ii-model/helpdesk_cpu

Mar 1, 2022
Unfortunately I have no way of running Memtest as I can't even get into the BIOS, and my old PC is dead.
The RAM came as 2 packs of 2x8GB modules.
The SKU is: F4-3200C14D-16GTZR DDR4-3200 CL14-14-14-34 1.35v

The Strix X570-E Wifi and Wifi II versions actually have two seperate BIOS (got stuck on this for hours trying to figure out why a brand new MB wouldn't take a BIOS update). The versions available for the Wifi II are 0309 and 4204, and both are supposed to be compatible with the 1800x. They're probably identical, but the renamer changes the names completely.

I updated the BIOS with the rear flashback button.
As for the chipsets, I don't think I can do that without booting into the OS, right?

Thank you for the swift response!

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-wifi-ii-model/helpdesk_cpu
Also should probably mention that I've tested booting with each DIMMM individually, and always make sure the paired sticks are running tandem in the correct slots.
Tried resetting the CMOS, tried a brand new CMOS battery. No luck.

FYI regarding Memtest86

If your Bios is UEFI configured to RUN the USB device then you don't need to access Bios. Create the USB ISO download image on another pc , then insert the USB into an appropriate port and fire up the system with your USB. Memtest does not need an operating system and is standalone. Run the test for 4 passes and if any errors then your RAM is a Fail. RMA.

FYI regarding your RAM

Your mixing RAM and that is Not a good idea. This can cause a mismatch due to slight variations in Latency and that's why DIMMS are binned after manufacture to matched kits. Ryzen is picky with RAM.
If you want 32GB then you need them as a single kit (2x16) and as they are OC RAM you will have to tweak Bios for correct Timings and Voltage. I used the DRAM Calculator to get mine just right as I have the same kit as you and they are top modules @3200MHz and c14.
Also test with just one dimm in the slot meant for single channel mode.

You should be able to boot to Windows to enable chipset update YES.

Are you shore your Bios update did in fact work.? There are a number of things that can fail if not done correctly. (Flashback button remains lit) If you continue to fail Post and cannot access your Bios then the issue maybe the MB itself or the Bios is not compatible with the CPU.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 1, 2022
FYI regarding Memtest86

FYI regarding your RAM

If you want 32GB then you need them as a single kit (2x16) and as they are OC RAM you will have to tweak Bios for correct Timings and Voltage. I used the DRAM Calculator to get mine just right as I have the same kit as you and they are top modules @3200MHz and c14.
Also test with just one dimm in the slot meant for single channel mode.

You should be able to boot to Windows to enable chipset update YES.

Are you shore your Bios update did in fact work.? There are a number of things that can fail if not done correctly. (Flashback button remains lit) If you continue to fail Post and cannot access your Bios then the issue maybe the MB itself or the Bios is not compatible with the CPU.
Tried running Memtest86 through UEFI with no luck. Made sure it was installed correctly to the USB and everything.
I've been running the RAM and CPU together for about 7 years prior with no issues, but I do understand that it's risky. I'll aim to get a kit that's 32GB alone for my next build, whenever that happens.

I spoke to ASUS support and explained the issue. They confirmed that the CPU and RAM were fully compatible with the MB, and after some testing they said I could either send it to them for free repair or return it to NewEgg. Going to return it as they have a free replacement policy for defective parts.

Thank you again for all the help, and I'll let you know how the replacement goes when I get it.

Mar 1, 2022
OK SethSlax :D and thanks for reporting back. Hope you have some luck with a MB replacement.
So just got the replacement in today, unfortunately the same issue, Q-Code 04.
When putting all thr parts back onto the old MB everything works fine, although it obviously still shuts down as it did. I tried it on factory, then flashed it to the latest BIOS version (no issues during offline flashback).
Starting to think the CPU and RAM just don't communicate well on this new MB.
Thinking I'll keep the new MB and just save up for a current gen AMD CPU. Do you think that's the better option, or should I save for replacement RAM instead?

So just got the replacement in today, unfortunately the same issue, Q-Code 04.
When putting all thr parts back onto the old MB everything works fine, although it obviously still shuts down as it did. I tried it on factory, then flashed it to the latest BIOS version (no issues during offline flashback).
Starting to think the CPU and RAM just don't communicate well on this new MB.
Thinking I'll keep the new MB and just save up for a current gen AMD CPU. Do you think that's the better option, or should I save for replacement RAM instead?
Gee sorry your still having the same issue. I'm out of ideas and sounds like you have at least a plan.