Ron L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlipsky

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Hello,

I am trying to connect a laptop running Windows 7 (64 bit version)with a LaserJet 4000 N. I have already tried the IEEE1284 parallel to USB cable which doesn't work so I want to put the ptinter on a network. The printer has an IP address from its previous network but I need to know how to change it for my current network.

Solution
If this is a work printer, I'd let your IT staff handle it. Duplicating an IP address on the network can cause issues. If however the printer supports DHCP you can enable it and it will be assigned an IP address by your DHCP server. Just go into the network settings in the printer menu to see what options you have available and consult the manual. If you don't have a manual, you can download it from HP's support site.
If this is a work printer, I'd let your IT staff handle it. Duplicating an IP address on the network can cause issues. If however the printer supports DHCP you can enable it and it will be assigned an IP address by your DHCP server. Just go into the network settings in the printer menu to see what options you have available and consult the manual. If you don't have a manual, you can download it from HP's support site.

Solution

rlipsky

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

I have a manual but it doesn't explain how to clear the address. So I tried resetting th different configuration bits until the address got reset to 00.000.000.00. The DHCP code still did not assign an address because the Apple Talk parameter was still enabled. Once I reset it then the DHCP assigned the printer a correct address.
Thank you for your suggestion.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
1. Choose Start, Settings, Printers and Faxes, or Start, Control Panel, Printers and Faxes.
2. Right-click the printer name Properties.
3. Ports tab

If your networked printer uses DHCP, you may connect to your router and find the IP address of the printer from DHCP status page. The router displays all host machines that are assigned dynamic IP addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.