Rough Edges: Hands On With Razer's OSVR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldbutstillatit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Well crap. Expected I suppose but, since these guys are pushing industry standards and open frame work I hope it comes together for them. The other big boys seem to be doing the status quo "my piece of market share, your piece" thing but, I hope not.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Only looking forward to MS Hololens at this point..... maybe someone will surprise, Facebook has a lot of money behind Ocolus or however it's spelled. I like the augmented reality concept though. I like still seeing my environment, knowing when someone walks into the room, being able to walk around without falling, less dizzy, just better.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
for augmented reality, you require if i remember right at least an 8k+ display density and a majority of that needs to be focused at the center of your eyes, otherwise the augmented reality looks fake as hell... in other words, you would need you first have a stupidly high pixel density, VERY fast if not real time eye tracking, and than you would need a tessellation like technology that works in the resolution or enough power behind the device to render that absurdly huge resolution, not to mention the processing power to render crap real time that looks like it fits in the real world...

VR requires FAR less to look good/real than augmented does, hell good augmented is at least 15-20 years out, at least from a gaming standpoint, however from more practical standpoint, AR is already here with the use of cell phones and gps... kind of...

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Why would you even wear glasses with these devices? I mean even a regular camera viewer has diopter calibration so you can look through it without glasses. I would think a device like this would have considered that from the offset.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

some people are nearsighted, some people are far sighted,

i just picked up my only camera that has a physical viewfinder on it, and looked through it with my bad eye... everything was fuzzy, so apparently the viewfinder isn't able to work for near sighted people.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

um... i have used a virtural boy... ill tell you why it never made it.

the only 3d it could do was fake or vector, and to make it was all red...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBnH_GFhVjo
tell me if any of those games could not have been done without the vb... all it did was gimmick the idea.

around the same time frame of the virtual boy, i was strapped into a vr display and went multiplayer in sin, THIS was amazing for the time and why i was hoping for 3d, but the requirements for 3d made it either undesirable or just not practical... unless you give me really fast refresh active glasses, i can see the refresh, and passive... well i notice the second image to much to make it worthwhile.

however, vr head mount... this is splitting a 1080p screen in 2 and isnt impacting frame rate the same way, while adding new metrics to pull from instead of put on head static.

Lol I was just kidding.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

to many people aren't when they say that. and with the recent show of stupidity in the comments on this site, i dont think i am going to give anyone here the benefit of the doubt again.

Status
Not open for further replies.