Roundup: Six Sub-$40 Performance CPU Coolers Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
i wished you included a cooler such as the coolermaster hyper 212, that seems to be a highly recommended cooler and it would have been nice to see how it squared up against these ones.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
"Its incomprehensible that the Hyper 212 was left out of this kind of review. That decision makes this article worthless."

Read the article before posting please.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
was waiting for this kind of article for some time now, thanks toms. Loved the article, thinking about to go with Zalman's Cooler.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]duk3[/nom]How did the Zalman CNPS10X Performa get into this review at $35?[/citation]It was $35. It went up at Newegg about a week ago, but if you look around enough you might find the launch price elsewhere.

G

Just wanted to say thanks for the article. And I think it's extra awesome that you actually respond to the comments/questions (I just read through the other roundup from earlier this year).

DavC

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
good article. it would be nice to see the standard cooler on the charts just for comparison though.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Great article tackling the budget builder but with an overclocker's heart :p. There are a few things I would like to mention/request:
- Heatpipe orientation .. I know all about capillary action but since I don't know of any manufacturer that advertises/places the type of wick they use on the box of the cooler, believing that all coolers are the same and therefor heatpipe orientation does not matter, is a bit idiotic. I know that on a open test bed with the motherboard sitting flat/horizontally the heatpipe orientation isn't relevant but inside a PC case it might be .. and here is my dilemma. Did some research about this, but other then forums and "i believe so" arguments I haven't found anything relevant on this subject. The thing is I was looking these past few weeks at reviews for arctic cooling's 13 on different websites and even though the test method (and room temp)is slightly different from one reviewer to the other, the temp values differ quite a bit which is normal but the biggest difference seams to stem from it's orientation in a pc case.

Main point of my rambling ... since this is probably one of the oldest tech websites out there, could you bust/prove this myth? Get a bunch of coolers from all price ranges (i have a feeling that cheaper coolers would turn up a bigger difference in values that the expensive ones) and place them est-west and north-south inside a closed pc case. Run a couple of tests and gives us the results.

PS: i know that case fans matter but since most pc cases now have a psu mounted at the bottom and there is a exhaust fan/grill at the top, you could use that as the "standard case" for this test.

djmik21

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks tom.
Great article.
I wanted a comparison between the CM 212+ and Xigmatek Gaia.
I think i'm going for the Gaia for its easier installation and to use it in a 2-fan setup with a fan that i allready have and don't know where to use it.
It would be even better if you added the performance of the coolers that support 2-fan setups.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]djmik21[/nom]Thanks tom.Great article.I wanted a comparison between the CM 212+ and Xigmatek Gaia.I think i'm going for the Gaia for its easier installation and to use it in a 2-fan setup with a fan that i allready have and don't know where to use it.It would be even better if you added the performance of the coolers that support 2-fan setups.[/citation]
Sorry, but the Hyper 212+ is too old to be part of a "new for 2010" cooler roundup, but that's why the link was provided in the article and the response thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535-4.html

Crashman nice article ... seriously.

I can see this time you took your time editing it and the end result is excellent.

On an unrelated note ... any news on whether your "grumpiness" is improving or can I expect a "slap" for my cheeky comment ... heh heh.

Seriously, If this is the new standard required for the other reviewers then the rest (Bar Chris and Don) have some work to do mate.

Well done ... very well done.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
A good thing to cover would be if you can OC a cpu so much, that you get enough performance to make the cooler repay for itself. Like cpu(0)+cooler=>cpu(1)

malnute

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
coolermaster hyper n520 is the one to get, i was running my i530 at 4.4 ghz and never went over 70 degrees while playing games, just installed one on a phenom 955 thing is only 55 degrees at 3.8 ghz but haven't gamed it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.