Router attached to a bridged modem.....

shadow23_69

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I have a question/s. But first I will have to give more information so my question makes sense.

Basically I have a modem in bridge mode and the RT-AC88U is attached to it. I normally have the "Get the WAN IP automatically" set to Yes. I am just wondering and noticed looking at the internet status
xsPazWT.png
it has a "lease time".

So anyway, I have had an issue when I have the WAN IP on automatic. Because I can normally access my modem (through my web browser) that is attached to the router. But when the "Least time" is up, this would change the address of the second WAN IP, the second Subnet Mask and completely lose the second Gateway address
IlgRf0E.png

When this happens I can't access my modem through my web browser. It took me a few goes to try and work out what settings I need so I can access my modem. I found out by manually putting in the WAN IP address, the Subnet mask, the Default gateway and the DNS servers
dJkXcuG.png
that I can access my modem again (modem's IP is 192.168.2.1). I like to have access to my modem through my web browser without having to disconnect the ethernet cable from my PC and connecting it to the modem just to flash a new firmware.

So my question is why is there 2 WAN IPs, 2 Subnet mask and 2 Gateways? Sorry for the long post but I had to explain what I'm doing.

When the modem is truly it bridge mode your router should get a IP addresses directly from the ISP. It should not be a private IP....unless your ISP happens to not give you actual ip.

In many cases you can not access the modem when it is in bridge mode with a router behind. Some cable modem though have a 10.x.x.x ip address and they can intercept traffic for that ip assuming your router will send the traffic out the wan port which some do not.

I suspect your modem is not actually in bridge mode.

shadow23_69

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

My modem is actually in bridge mode. I know that for a fact as when I actually login to it, I can't change any settings and when I check my modem (D7000) it says modem only.

My setup works fine. I have access to my modem (Netgear D7000 192.168.2.1) and my router (ASUS RT-AC88U 192.168.1.1) with the same subnet mask 255.255.255.0

I'm just wondering why when the least time is up the 2nd WAN IP changes. BUT when I had the DSL-AC68R in bridge mode, even having the WAN IP on automatic the 2nd WAN IP never changes. Must be an ASUS thing.

Look here:
YCTsvkW.png

05hUFph.png

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

your router is probably not in bridge mode. read page 216 of the netgear D7000 manual.

shadow23_69

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Actually it doesn't need to be in bridge mode as it is doing all the networking (looging into my internet service provider), Like I said everything works fine. I have no issues. Just wondering why the WAN IP changes when I'm using the Netgear modem and it doesn't change when I'm using the ASUS modem.

Page 216 talks about changing the static route. But that can only be done when I take the D7000 out of "Modem only". When it's in "Modem only" I can't change any settings. at all. If you look at the picture of the D7000 all the other settings are grayed out and no way to change them unless I take it out of Modem only.