Router dropping daily

kulmo1986

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I'm having a problem with my router dropping connection about once a day. I know it's the router and not the net because a simple reset of the router fixes the problem. It's not JUST internet connection that gets lost though, it's the whole router. I can't access the router from any computer connected to it, whether it be wired or wireless. When this happens and I try to go to 192.168.1.1, it just hangs there like a webpage trying to connect when the net is down.

I have had this problem with routers in the past, and those had all been older routers and so I figured that they were just due for a replacement. It's always fixed the problem, so I just figured that they were dying out, and indeed, one or two of them are truly just dead. So a couple of the routers I have replaced have been older WRT54G's that I had found at a thrift store, and I just assumed those were dying because they were second model WRT54G's, and they're old. There was a Netgear something or another I bought new, and it lasted maybe 3 months before it was dropping connection maybe once every 3 hours.

Now this last time I bought a WRT54GL because that series is supposed to be some of the best routers from what I understand. It was purchased the first week of August, 2014. In the last month, it's gone from just dropping the wireless signal, to "dying" once or twice a day.

I have a quite a lot of traffic if I'm honest, Netflix and HULU are on a fair chunk of the day, and I like to try new games, so I'm quite frequently downloading a few hundred megs to a few hundred gigs in games in a week. I know from Comcast whining about my usage(when I had them, I don't now) that my usage is much higher than average. Although I feel the "2GB monthly average" usage they claimed was probably bull, but that's another point entirely.

Am I just frying these things out from over usage? I mean, I feel like a brand new router with 4002 5 star reviews on Newegg should last more than 6 months.

kanewolf

Titan
Buying a wireless "G" router these days is doing yourself a disservice. You don't say what your WAN speed is, but will be limited to about 20Mbit on wireless. Any new purchase should be a dual band N600 router at a minimum.

But as to your problem ... Is it possible that you have a systemic overheating problem? Is the router in a confined space with other heat generating equipment?

kulmo1986

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

Thank you for the quick reply, but everything I have is wired, I really don't care about wireless all that much.

The router does not seem to be overly warm, and it's out in the open so it should be just fine. The thing is, I can unplug it and plug it right back in and it's fine. Resetting it doesn't help.

kulmo1986

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

I used to, and I kind of thought they might have added to the quick demise of my old routers, but I don't anymore. I just upgraded the firmware to the DD-WRT firmware for my router. I'm going to see if that helps. Maybe the hard reset that you have to do with the upgrade will help if nothing else. If the problem persists, I'll post again with an update on the frequency.

kanewolf

Titan

With DD-WRT, the other thing I would do is setup a SYSLOG server somewhere and capture the logs from the router. You need evidence on what is happening.