Question Router drops Internet connection when downloading

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello,

I have an issue with the cheap ZTE router my ISP provided me with... So whenever I download large files like a Linux Distro ISO (about 1.5 GB) my router just looses connection with the Internet after about 100-300 MBs of the file are downloaded, and I have to reset the router in order to get a connection back

I called my ISP, they were no help. Insisted my router is more than fine and that some VDSL splitter in my line was causing issues... I removed the thing and nothing, I then had them come and take a look in my line, they did something but still the same issue. So my ISP is obviously not going to help.

I did notice that the router they provided us with gets REALLY hot even when it doesn't transfer data from the Internet or between local devices. It's so hot that keeping my finger on it for more than 10 seconds gets kinda unbearable. So you can imagine what'll happen when it actually starts doing work

Could it be that the router overheats so badly when downloading data from the Internet that it just malfunctions and drops the connection?

You should be able to test the heat theory by placing a window type fan that blows over the router. You could also take the outside case off to test also.

If it runs longer then it could be a heat issue. It will still be a matter of buying a different router/modem. The ISP will be reluctant to do that unless they are sure.

The other thing it can be is that you are getting a large number of errors on your line. The more traffic you run the more errors you get. At some point many routers just give up. You generally do not have to reset the router though, most just drop the connection and restart it themselves.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Well I did what you suggested. Opened my router's casing and removed the circuit board, firstly it gets much hotter than I anticipated, I touched my finger where a big IC was and it was so hot it almost freaking burned me, also around that area, the circuitboard had discoloured with a brown tint (probably from the heat). I took a 80mm PC fan and hooked it to a 12v 0.5a PSU and stuck it directly at the circuitboard and things turned much cooler but the same issue still persists so... perhaps all that heat did its damage already? I head SMD components don't like being toasted.

My line should be fine, after all my ISP even came and did something to it and said it was fine after that... So my router is just dead, it's a crap chinese ZTE router that literally burned itself from the heat because ZTE failed to design the board properly to battle all that heat its generating. I'll just get a new one.

Thank you anyway