[SOLVED] Router/PC struck by lightning

Jan 31, 2019
Before I left to Basic training my Router box outside my home was struck by lightning.
It fed a surge through my router/battery and ethernet to my PC.

My PC's ethernet port is shot, but every other port on it works just fine.
My build is currently:
Case: HAF 922
GPU: GTX 970
CPU: i7 4790K Stock
PSU: CX750M Corsair
RAM: 4x4gb HyperX Kingston Blue DDR3 1600mhz
MOBO: Asus Z-97A

The computer works, almost perfectly fine, with the exception of the ethernet port - I simply traded out a USB slot for a USB>Ethernet adapter.

My concern is; The computer turns on, but takes about 10-15seconds of the power button on the case pressed, It WILL play games normally, and runs tasks fine. Problem is, it's randomly cuts to a black screen and fans will max out and stay lit. Sometimes it plays fine for 5 hours, other times it'll turn off within 20minutes.
The computer then requires me to either again, hold the power down for 10-15seconds for a reboot upon restarting and it continues as if nothing happened.

A couple of my friends say it's most likely a PSU fault, but I'm quite unsure where to being fixing my issues, and don't want to fork out another $1500 for an entire build.

I'm having my PC shipped to my base in a week, and want to game - but I need to fix the issue first.
ANY insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Jan 31, 2019

That's what I'd like to avoid, if I swap the motherboard I'm probably going to just get a new CPU and RAM etc. etc.

USAFRet

Titan

You can't "avoid".
Either it got zapped or it didn't.

Jan 31, 2019

I understand that, but I'd rather factor out the cheapest fixes before I decide to buy a new motherboard.
With the problem listed above, do you think it could be the CPU/GPU? or more than likely the PSU/Motherboard?

USAFRet

Titan

From your symptoms, that looks like the motherboard.
And with a current zapped Z97, a whole new PC is in order.

You're leaving Basic...to your training base or perm station?
Army/Navy/Airforce/Other?

Jan 31, 2019

EDIT: (I chose Air Force.)
I've already completed Basic, I've been in Tech School for 5 months currently to be a Crew Chief.
And I suppose I'll just grab a new motherboard lol.
Any suggestions for an i7 4790k with DDR3 Ram? Or is it in my best interest to replace everything. I think I can spare the GPU/RAM/CPU but im just so dumbfounded - the PSU/Outlet my PC is in didn't get touched. Everything came through the ethernet as my router is the one to get hit. All my outlets in the room I'm using my PC in are perfectly fine. The router is in an entirely different area than my desk is due to my house layout.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Yes but when an item plugged into a wall gets hit it usually sends some sort of surge to the rest of the house. PC's are pretty sensitive to this.

The easiest option is look for a used version of the board you have, that way you won't have to reinstall Windows. But if you're willing to reinstall any z97 board would work

Jan 31, 2019

Please excuse my ignorance here.
Even if I choose an MSI z97, or ASROCK etc, I shouldn't have to reinstall windows?
Because choosing another motherboard with the LGA1150 socket would probably be the easiest bet for me.

USAFRet

Titan

Welcome to the flightline. Spent the majority of my career there....:lol:

For your system, a full replacement might be in the cards.
You could track down a used Z97 for maybe $150, and be stuck with a 5 year old system.

Jan 31, 2019

I'm eager to start honestly. I've always enjoyed this type of work (minus the paperwork) but it's seeming promising, however my airframe seems to be quite tedious lol.

I'll slowly add to my system I have no issues working with a 5 year old system, although im not looking to play high-end games. Just WoW and others alike. My 970 runs the games I enjoy fairly well - Once I'm at my first duty station I plan on going to the RTX series though for some of the newer games coming out later this year.

My RAM is probably the oldest of all the hardware, so I'll look into a motherboard/RAM kit perhaps and go from there.
The current processor I have is barely a year, MAYBE two old, I'm going to try and use it unless it's in need of replacement lol.

USAFRet

Titan

The 4790K is 5 years old, no matter when you bought it.
I have one as well.

If you can find a reasonably inexpensive Z97 board, get one for the current system.
This, of course, will probably require a full OS reinstall and everything else. But semi-cheap.

Later, a full rebuild to go with the 2080.

Solution
Jan 31, 2019

Out of curiosity. I'm going to Hurlburt lol, where are you/were you stationed?