Router Recommendations

G

Hello!
I just recently signed up for DSL, with a static IP, and am now on the market for a router with NAT so I can set up an internal network at home.
As this is not 'prime-time' material, I don't want to spend a bunch.
Anyone have any advice/recommendations on a reasonably priced home router with NAT? I'm interested in thoughts about where to find one (online vs. store), ease of use, etc.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

G

NetGear make the RT338, which looks like what you are looking for.

See a review :
http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/1748/1/

Out of curiousity, do you need NAT because of the static IP?
I do not have a static IP, and use a NetGear hub (2 yrs. no problens! Go 3Com & NetGear!) to allow multiple computers to access my DSL connection. I used to use a Cisco 675 that could do NAT for my setup, but my new service uses some plastic crap modem barely able to pass IP packets instead. The Cisco was a Mack Truck for internet access, as far as I am concerned.

G

Yes, I need NAT becuase I have only one IP to use...
I want to have the router be the only "outward-facing" connection, then I can set up a 127.0.0.x network internally...

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into the RT338.
Someone else suggested the Linksys 1-port, which looks pretty good, and is closer to $100 in price... we shall see!

-Me.

G

The Linksys router looks nice for NAT. My ADSL provider uses DHCP to send out IP addresses, so I can share my LAN just by connecting the DSL modem in my hub, so I don't need to worry about NAT fortunately.