Router recommendations

Skygee

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
I think I'm looking for 'legacy' hardware...that is a wired-only router with NAT & SPI. Google searches suggest these have been entirely replaced by the wireless sort. Anyone recall a brand/model number of wired-only router, having absolutely no wireless capability?

Skygee

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

Not intersted in breaking off the antennas, encasing it in aluminum foil, and all that rot...just want a wired-only router! Keep it simple I say!

I don't allow wireless junk in my home (no wireless router, no wi-fi, wireless keyboard, etc.). If its wireless, or can be wireless, I ain't interested.

mryoink

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Interesting request indeed. Obviously you have already realized most consumer routers these days are all in 1 devices with router/switch/wireless access points together, you can of course disable all wireless features. On the enterprise side you do have wired only routers such as cisco 2811s but that is moving well beyond keeping it simple as you would also then require a standalone switch or a switch module.

Also don't forget that TV remote controls use a form of infrared wireless technology, wouldn't want that security concern either.

Routersforhumans

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Well, I guess wireless routers are ideal to make our devices free from the wires such as Laptops, Gaming consoles etc. Both wired and wireless have their own advantages. The world is moving towards 'Wireless' because its good to be not in the trap of wires anymore. If we try the new innovations and technology in Wireless routers, I guess, we will not even think about wired networking.........

Skygee

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

Exactly , and also realized that it was not always so, hence the request for legacy router recommendations. Before wireless routers took over the world, there actually were wired-only routers (and I'm not meaning "enterprise" stuff).

You got me there! I do indeed have remotes for my crappy Comcast cable box, LCD TV, VCR, DVD player, and DVD recorder. I think that's quite enough bones to throw to Google spy vans, Big Bro, nosey neighbors, and assorted riff-raff, to keep them entertained! If they want better than that, they will have to try elsewhere.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I'd suggest building a small Linux system with dual NICs (best if you have old parts laying around) and set it up as a router. That's what I did a couple weekends ago. My Netgear router died after 14 months of service. (I've only had one router last longer.) So I set up my practice server as my router. It reduced my ping times in WoW by a full 15ms.

Routersforhumans

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Wow.......that's stunning to hear!!! I've watched the CES 2012 innovations. These new generation Wi-Fi routers are fully loaded with new features, attracting people to use router as more than just a router indeed. I've noticed a vendor launched a router with a SD card slot that anybody can share the instant pictures in the network.............Nice idea, isn't it???? But is that really needed????

Another new company Securifi launched a router with a touchscreen claiming that you do not need a computer to configure your router. I said WOW. But what does people say??? Do they need this feature, a touchscreen on a wi-fi router?

Skygee

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

I'm not skilled in that sort of stuff. Custom-build will be put together by shop. I'm just picking the components & software. Was your dead router a wired-only sort?

Skygee

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

To each his own! So far as I'm concerned, any advantage of wireless stuff is far eclipsed by the attendent security/privacy flaws.