[SOLVED] Router related questions

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
Hello,
I have ISP optical fiber modem directly connected with the PC and got few questions.
Will ordinary router in a modem > router > pc setup, reduce internet speed than a direct modem connection, and does 150 or 300 mbps etc. speed or varied frequency ranges make any difference in that setup with these,

D-Link DIR-600M Wireless N150 Router
D-Link DIR-615 VX1 300 Mbps Ethernet Single-Band

The connected broadband dl speed is around 25 mbitps fyi.

Last edited:
Solution
"Will ordinary router in a modem > router > pc setup, reduce internet speed than a direct modem connection "

Mine runs at the same speed either way.

"and does 150 or 300 mbps etc. speed or varied frequency ranges make any difference in that setup with these, "
Not exactly sure what you mean....but I think either of those routers is more than capable for 25 Mb/s.
"Will ordinary router in a modem > router > pc setup, reduce internet speed than a direct modem connection "

Mine runs at the same speed either way.

"and does 150 or 300 mbps etc. speed or varied frequency ranges make any difference in that setup with these, "
Not exactly sure what you mean....but I think either of those routers is more than capable for 25 Mb/s.

Reactions: Ainez
Solution

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
i guess it is wifi signal frequency.

Alright. Thanks for the reply.

Those are the fake numbers they put on the box to make routers seem faster than they really are. Key to that they know they are telling lies is both router you list only have 10/100 wan and lan ports. That means even if the wifi were somehow faster it could never leave the router faster than 100mbps. You only get a tiny fraction of those numbers. They do silly stuff like add the transmit and receive speed together, you would call a gigabit ethenet cable 2gbit using that logic, but ethernet can actually do that.

Both those routers should be able to run the full 100mbps wan/lan using ethernet. The wifi speed is hard to say but it will likely be more than the 25mbps you purchase.

Reactions: Ainez

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
Those are the fake numbers they put on the box to make routers seem faster than they really are. Key to that they know they are telling lies is both router you list only have 10/100 wan and lan ports. That means even if the wifi were somehow faster it could never leave the router faster than 100mbps. You only get a tiny fraction of those numbers. They do silly stuff like add the transmit and receive speed together, you would call a gigabit ethenet cable 2gbit using that logic, but ethernet can actually do that.

Both those routers should be able to run the full 100mbps wan/lan using ethernet. The wifi speed is hard to say but it will likely be more than the 25mbps you purchase.
Truly, without being sophisticated with information it is easy to get misled. They shouldn't allow deception.