[SOLVED] Router Upgrade from Netgear R6900 to Linksys MR9000?

palmoyas

Prominent
Jul 16, 2020
Wondering if this upgrade is worth it. I was able to get the MR9000 for $54.

I'm getting 250Mbps service from Comcast, and currently have the Netgear integrated with a Linksys Velop system in bridge mode. Base Velop unit is tri-band, two satellite nodes are dual band. One benefit I thought of is that it would allow me to move the primary tri-band node out as a more capable satellite.

I really like the Circle parental content filtering on the Netgear, and there doesn't seem to be an equivalent on the Linksys router. Thanks!

Solution
I was afraid of that.

I'd run with it just to free up the extra tri-band node, except that the parental filtering looks really weak on it compared to the free Circle I'm using with my R6900 Netgear router (which I believe is the Costco equivalent of the R7000). The only other option I know of is OpenDNS, but that looks too limited for my use (i.e. can't filter by user).

Thanks!
You can always use your existing router as wired only. Disable the WIFI and use any wifi you like. I am not a fan of mesh systems. I always recommend spending the same money on getting ethernet cable professionally installed. That is what provides great home networking.

kanewolf

Titan
Wondering if this upgrade is worth it. I was able to get the MR9000 for $54.

I'm getting 250Mbps service from Comcast, and currently have the Netgear integrated with a Linksys Velop system in bridge mode. Base Velop unit is tri-band, two satellite nodes are dual band. One benefit I thought of is that it would allow me to move the primary tri-band node out as a more capable satellite.

I really like the Circle parental content filtering on the Netgear, and there doesn't seem to be an equivalent on the Linksys router. Thanks!
I doubt you will see any significant change between the two.

palmoyas

Prominent
Jul 16, 2020
I doubt you will see any significant change between the two.
I was afraid of that.

I'd run with it just to free up the extra tri-band node, except that the parental filtering looks really weak on it compared to the free Circle I'm using with my R6900 Netgear router (which I believe is the Costco equivalent of the R7000). The only other option I know of is OpenDNS, but that looks too limited for my use (i.e. can't filter by user).

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
I was afraid of that.

Thanks!
You can always use your existing router as wired only. Disable the WIFI and use any wifi you like. I am not a fan of mesh systems. I always recommend spending the same money on getting ethernet cable professionally installed. That is what provides great home networking.

Solution

palmoyas

Prominent
Jul 16, 2020
That's exactly what I'm doing now with the R6900 and a Velop system in bridge mode (this one: https://www.linksys.com/us/support-product?pid=01t34000004DK1aAAG ). It's not especially consistent for speed, but has always provided good enough/no complaints speed to all reaches of the house.

I'd love to get ethernet cable installed, but we're on slab (no basement) so cost is prohibitive.