Thinking of buying 2 Acer Aspire 3002LMi Sempron 2800 laptops but am unsure
what would be the best router for setting up my home network in the Uk.

Which is the most reliable-Belkin, Link Sys,BT or Cable & Wireless

Cheers

Dennis

Any router would do the job since it would control the TCP/IP acess
(Internet and local). I would recommend you check the one with the longest
warranty.

From: "dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Thinking of buying 2 Acer Aspire 3002LMi Sempron 2800 laptops but am unsure
| what would be the best router for setting up my home network in the Uk.
|
| Which is the most reliable-Belkin, Link Sys,BT or Cable & Wireless
|
| Cheers
|
| Dennis

A Linsys BEFSR41 will do well.

As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

I don't suggest going wireless unless you fully understand how to secure it and the
ramifications of "war driving" if you don't.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Make certain that any router you buy fully supports the UpNP protocol. The
Linksys BEFSR41 and the BEFSX41 both do. I have them both and they work
flawlessly.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

In article <Og0PysOrFHA.1984@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
> Make certain that any router you buy fully supports the UpNP protocol. The
> Linksys BEFSR41 and the BEFSX41 both do. I have them both and they work
> flawlessly.

That's the first thing I disable on every NAT Router that has that
option. I don't want the users being able to automatically open outbound
ports or open inbound ports.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

I have never disabled them. I have never had a compromised PC. Lucky? Who
knows - the Phantom knows!

--

> In article <Og0PysOrFHA.1984@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
> richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
>> Make certain that any router you buy fully supports the UpNP protocol.
>> The
>> Linksys BEFSR41 and the BEFSX41 both do. I have them both and they work
>> flawlessly.
>
> That's the first thing I disable on every NAT Router that has that
> option. I don't want the users being able to automatically open outbound
> ports or open inbound ports.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

jeff

I have a SMC router (SMCWBR14-G) that I think is great. As for disabling
ports, when I querried their tech service about it, I was told:

"The ports 80(HTTP), 25(SMTP) and 110(POP3) are open on the router but are
in stealth mode. These ports are used to access the Internet and send and
receive emails. All the other ports are blocked on the router by default."

Seems to solve that problem. The router is capable of WPA and WPA2 (AES),
disabling broadcasting and Upnp, has MAC filtering and all kind of security
utilities.

Had no problems with it except with a Hawking adapter that did not seem to
want to remain connected at all times. Linksys adapters and others worked
fine linking to it.

--

Jeff
Jeff@falsepart.com

Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
> I have never disabled them. I have never had a compromised PC. Lucky?
> Who knows - the Phantom knows!
>

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> In article <Og0PysOrFHA.1984@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
>> richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
>>> Make certain that any router you buy fully supports the UpNP
>>> protocol. The
>>> Linksys BEFSR41 and the BEFSX41 both do. I have them both and they
>>> work flawlessly.
>>
>> That's the first thing I disable on every NAT Router that has that
>> option. I don't want the users being able to automatically open
>> outbound ports or open inbound ports.
>>
>> --
>>
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me

Jeff;

go to www.grc.com, scroll down to "Shields up!", then click on "scan my
ports".

It will tell you if your ports are stealthed or not.

Bobby

"Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
>I have a SMC router (SMCWBR14-G) that I think is great. As for disabling
>ports, when I querried their tech service about it, I was told:
>
> "The ports 80(HTTP), 25(SMTP) and 110(POP3) are open on the router but are
> in stealth mode. These ports are used to access the Internet and send and
> receive emails. All the other ports are blocked on the router by default."
>
> Seems to solve that problem. The router is capable of WPA and WPA2 (AES),
> disabling broadcasting and Upnp, has MAC filtering and all kind of
> security utilities.
>
> Had no problems with it except with a Hawking adapter that did not seem to
> want to remain connected at all times. Linksys adapters and others worked
> fine linking to it.
>
> --
>
> Jeff
> Jeff@falsepart.com
>
> Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
>> I have never disabled them. I have never had a compromised PC. Lucky?
>> Who knows - the Phantom knows!
>>

>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>>> In article <Og0PysOrFHA.1984@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
>>> richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
>>>
>>> That's the first thing I disable on every NAT Router that has that
>>> option. I don't want the users being able to automatically open
>>> outbound ports or open inbound ports.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>>> remove 999 in order to email me

Appreciate all the comments-looks like Linksys is the best

Cheers

Dennis

In article <OnsdKyOrFHA.908@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
> I have never disabled them. I have never had a compromised PC. Lucky? Who
> knows - the Phantom knows!

I see the logs in the router where AOL has been trying to reconfigure
the ports - thank god the people don't have the password for it and uPnP
is disabled.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

That's what configuration entry passwords are for. Anyone who leaves the
router password at the default setting is asking for, and likely to receive,
trouble.

--

In article <enoFyCPrFHA.2228@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
> That's what configuration entry passwords are for. Anyone who leaves the
> router password at the default setting is asking for, and likely to receive,
> trouble.

LOL, I agree. Not sure how many you see, but once in a while we run into
someone using a NAT router and it still is in the default subnet, still
has the default password.....

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

I hope "you" are not the one using an ISP with training wheels!

--

> In article <enoFyCPrFHA.2228@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
> richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com says...
>> That's what configuration entry passwords are for. Anyone who leaves the
>> router password at the default setting is asking for, and likely to
>> receive,
>> trouble.
>
> LOL, I agree. Not sure how many you see, but once in a while we run into
> someone using a NAT router and it still is in the default subnet, still
> has the default password.....
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

"dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thinking of buying 2 Acer Aspire 3002LMi Sempron 2800 laptops but am
> unsure
> what would be the best router for setting up my home network in the Uk.
>
> Which is the most reliable-Belkin, Link Sys,BT or Cable & Wireless

Belkin = Good
Linksys = Great
BT = Bad
C&W = ?

--
WH

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Yes I have had a Linksys (wireless) router for 5 years no problems. I'd
buy another one with out question.

Rick

William Hart wrote:
> "dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Thinking of buying 2 Acer Aspire 3002LMi Sempron 2800 laptops but am
>>unsure
>>what would be the best router for setting up my home network in the Uk.
>>
>>Which is the most reliable-Belkin, Link Sys,BT or Cable & Wireless
>

> Belkin = Good
> Linksys = Great
> BT = Bad
> C&W = ?

My take is definitely the D-LINK DI-604 with 4 ports. Rock stable and rock
secure over years. More flexible in terms of setup and options. I had SMC
VBR series overtime which I changed for D-LINK DI-604 at many home customers
and SOHO. The peace of mind! No more reset and odd behavior from the
routers.

SMC is very limited, has poor customer service and very unstable products.

My 2 p.

"dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
de news: 132ACB24-FE5F-4B19-806A-FB630ADABE3D@microsoft.com...
> Thinking of buying 2 Acer Aspire 3002LMi Sempron 2800 laptops but am
> unsure
> what would be the best router for setting up my home network in the Uk.
>
> Which is the most reliable-Belkin, Link Sys,BT or Cable & Wireless
>
> Cheers
>
> Dennis

Linksys = Cisco. Nuff said.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"dennisjubb" <dennisjubb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thinking of buying 2 Acer Aspire 3002LMi Sempron 2800 laptops but am
> unsure
> what would be the best router for setting up my home network in the Uk.
>
> Which is the most reliable-Belkin, Link Sys,BT or Cable & Wireless
>
> Cheers
>
> Dennis

jeff

Hi Gilles. What is your experience with Hawking. I've had nothing but
trouble with their adapters but my experience is limited. I've asked about
them on newslists but no one seemed willing to comment.

Jeff