RPG by McFarlane, Salvatore Confirmed for 2011

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vizzie

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Could be pretty cool, like Elder Scrolls with Force-unleashed-like combat maybe? We'll see in a year or so....

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Elder scrolls experience with good art/animation? Sign me up.

I love all TES games but am really excited to see if McFarlane and crew can step it up in terms of animations. Fallout3 was there best yet in that regards but with things like Assasins Creed where everything is so fluid I just can't get over what TES could be.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]donovands[/nom]Single player! Yes! Who wants another MMO anyway? Market is saturated already.[/citation]

The world will also have an MMO version out. Much like World of Warcraft being based off the Warcraft lore.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Never read any Salvatore. I've read dozens of fantasy novels (currently reading the Malazan series). I'll have to check out his books, anybody have a recommendation on which one to read first?

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
OMG OMG OMG... one of my favorite authors and my favorite comic book artist are collaborating on a video game, my favorite way to waste time.

Have I died and gone to heaven? I don't think the stars have ever aligned so perfectly for me. And I'm married to a wonderful woman.

I'm going to be watching this one VERY closely.

Now we just need Hollywood to make a Drizzt movie and a 7 part Incarnations of Immortality movie franchise and I can die a happy man.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Never read any Salvatore. I've read dozens of fantasy novels (currently reading the Malazan series). I'll have to check out his books, anybody have a recommendation on which one to read first?[/citation]
Start with the Dark Elf Trilogy

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Never read any Salvatore. I've read dozens of fantasy novels (currently reading the Malazan series). I'll have to check out his books, anybody have a recommendation on which one to read first?[/citation]
Homeland is the first book of the first trilogy even though it was the second trilogy written (kind of like Star Wars). Originally, the second trilogy (Icewind Dale) was supposed to be about the barbarian Wulfgar and not Drizzt, but as he was writing the book (in the first chapter according to him) Salvatore switched to making Drizzt the main character. You could also pick up the combo books that have all 3 of each trilogy combined, in which case you'd be looking for the dark elf trilogy. Pretty much any bookstore has the trilogy compilations in the fantasy sectioned and they're typically 20 or so bucks and 800-1000 or so pages long. They're pretty fast, light reads, I usually read them again when I'm tired of non-fiction and want something fun.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bootleghooch[/nom]I'd start with The Demon Awakens. Epic.[/citation]
Those are good too, as is the Cleric Quintet. If you wanna know who the heck this Drizzt character is that all the fantasy nerds talk about and MMO players dual-wielders want to copy that's the Dark Elf trilogy and the following 20 or so books.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Like I said, I currently reading the Malazan series (well actually I'm taking a break to read 'The Brothers Karamazov' right now) which is 10+ books. After that I'll check out some Salvatore though.

Status
Not open for further replies.