[SOLVED] RTX 2060 crashing on heavy load ?

smtrejo

Honorable
Apr 11, 2017
Greetings everyone,

I have a Zotac RTX 2060 6GB that crashes on heavy load when running games like Cyberpunk, Fortnite and Call of Duty (crashes include game error, black screen or system freezed, I've attached pictures). However, it passes stress tests and benchmarks on Furmark, MSI Kombustor (OpenGL) and Unigine Heaven (OpenGL). It also passes Superposition Benchmark on Medium settings and DirectX, but it crashes on High settings. It runs light games with no problem like Yuzu (Nintendo Switch Emulator, with OpenGL) and PES 2021 (I had to deactivate "V-sync" to make it work).

Temps are stable at 67 degrees Celsius during stress tests and benchmarks.

Somebody suggested me to reflow the card, but instead another guy offered me a reballing on the gpu's chip, I've read that it also could be a VRAM issue (specially the ones with Samsung VRAM modules).

So my question is: Would a reballing fix the card's issues?

It was working properly 2 weeks ago when I got the card second-hand (previous owner had the same issues), and it has been tested on other two systems (Ryzen cpu, 16GB RAM, 550w psu) with same results.

These are my specs:

Intel Core i3-10105f
16GB RAM 2666 MHZ
Game Factor 650w +80 PSU
Gigabyte H410M H

* I'm currently running an ASUS ROG-STRIX GTX 1080 8GB with no issues, which draws more power than the RTX 2060.

Things that I've tried:

• Reseat the card properly on motherboard
  • Uninstall previous drivers with DDU
  • Install latest drivers
  • Tried older drivers
  • Downclock core clock
  • Adjust max power between 60% and 90%
  • Test gpu on two other systems
Here are the errors and benchmarks (the editor didn't let me attach the pics):

Cyberpunk error

Event Viewer error

MSI Kombustor test

Furmark test

Furmark test result

Superposition Benchmark

GPU-Z

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
So finally I solved my issues modifying the voltage/frequency curve (undervolt) in MSI Afterburner (900mV and 1725Mhz):

View: https://youtu.be/--YvuxE0xl4

I played Cyberpunk and Fortnite on Ultra/Epic and Ray-Tracing on whith no crashes.

I'd like to know why aplying this workaround fixes the problem (or at least it mitigates it).

Thanks in advance
Mar 16, 2022
The equivalent to $75 USD. No refunds. Tecnically, I'd like to know if a reflow or reballing could solve the root problem.
To diagnose your problem would require a trained technician or engineer of some form and I highly doubt they would have it easy detecting the issue either.
However.. if 75 USD is not a lot of money to you it may be worth the try, just that to me it actually seems logically improbable as the 2060 is not a hot running GPU so would not heat up the solder enough but I could be wrong.

smtrejo

Honorable
Apr 11, 2017
So finally I solved my issues modifying the voltage/frequency curve (undervolt) in MSI Afterburner (900mV and 1725Mhz):

View: https://youtu.be/--YvuxE0xl4

I played Cyberpunk and Fortnite on Ultra/Epic and Ray-Tracing on whith no crashes.

I'd like to know why aplying this workaround fixes the problem (or at least it mitigates it).

Thanks in advance

Solution