ZeNt1989

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Hello people.
PC - 5820k, 16gb, RTX 2060 (MSI gaming 6g)

I noticed that 2060 is worse than previous 970!
Kingdom come deliverance - average 25 fps at medium settings
Prey - average 35 regardless graphics settings.
This is it? This is a bottleneck? Because, it seems that 970 was better in KCD seemingly. I don't have a possibility to compare 2060 and 970 right now...

P.S. drivers are fresh. Win8.1 64

Last edited:
Nope, I don't think your current CPU is bottlenecking the new RTX GPU. On what screen RES are you Gaming, 1080p, or 2K, 4K ? List the make/model number of your current power supply unit/PSU.

Any signs of overheating on your CPU as well as GPU ? This poor FPS might be a GPU driver issue, or in some rare case, a hardware fault. Is your Windows also a fresh installed copy ?

Use this GPU-Z tool, and just check the GPU's load/usage value while Gaming. Do the same for the IDLE desktop mode as well. Also, check whether the GPU clocks are properly boosting, when the system is under full LOAD.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

ZeNt1989

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Nope, I don't think your current CPU is bottlenecking the new RTX GPU. On what screen RES are you Gaming, 1080p, or 2K, 4K ? List the make/model number of your current power supply unit/PSU.

Any signs of overheating on your CPU as well as GPU ? This poor FPS might be a GPU driver issue, or in some rare case, a hardware fault. Is your Windows also a fresh installed copy ?

Use this GPU-Z tool, and just check the GPU's load/usage value while Gaming. Do the same for the IDLE desktop mode as well. Also, check whether the GPU clocks are properly boosting, when the system is under full LOAD.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Thanks for your reply.
I use HD RES for gaming.
PSU - 850w Corsair gold series. Unfortunately i can not remember the current model, but it's 5 years old.
For CPU cooling i use Noctua NH D14.
My windows was installed years ago.
I'm going to reinstall windows, or install win.10, and will see what happens. Then i'll check the temperature and etc. in a proper manner you recommend.
P.S. did few 3d mark stress tests in sequence - PC coped with them.

ZeNt1989

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Okay...No worries. Try doing a CLEAN and a fresh OS re-install, and then check the performance. BTW, that's good PSU model.. No issues using that Corsair RMx unit, assuming you are using this particular PSU model.
So...here I am again. I did total reinstallation of windows (now it's a win10 64). New windows installed at m2 nvme plextor ssd (segn model). All games for testing and sinthethic benchmarks (3d mark) installs at m2 crucial nvme (installed throug pcie adapter in pcie slot).
Just managed to try Prey again. Use Fraps and CPU temp for data monitoring. It shows 45-60 fps, sometimes with drops to 35 (change locations, moving from one room to bigger one). CPU temp was ok. Right now witcher 3 is downloading, i suppose it has better optimization for PC, will try it.
Anyway I have to say that Prey performance is better than previous times...but this drops of performance...man I know that 2060 is not the best of the best...but i expected more... If GPU has hardware problems, is there a way to find it out?
Have to say that my 16gb works at 2400 frequency, unfortunately don't remember the name of manufacturer and Noctua cooler is quite big for fast look.

ZeNt1989

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Try to run some synthetic benchmarks on your PC, and then compare the scores online with others having a similar system. 3DMARK/PCMark for example. Other options would be UNIGINE benchmarks , UserBenchmark etc.
So...3d mark's result is 6000 points, average. Better than 51% of results. I noticed, while comparing results, that most higher results (60%+) were achieved by overclocked 5820 and 2060...and with better memory frequency. Maybe this is really the Top for stock sistem or near it.
Have one question...could monitor affect my impressions while gaming Prey? I am using dell 24HGF. I bought it one week ago and haven't yet sorted out all settings.

ZeNt1989

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019

ZeNt1989

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Use Nvidia Control Panel/NVCP, or the Monitor settings, to change the Refresh rate. Do not do this via any in-game setting. Your desktop should also support the same refresh rate.

This might also help:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-monitor-refresh-rate-windows-10

So...supposed I solved 90% of a proble. The issue was that turbo boost option was disabled in bios...now things are going better.
But unfortunately Prey is still freezing...I googled and found out that a lot of gamers have same trouble. Seems it is around of Preys optimization.